Three months later: wrap up


Advertisement
Published: September 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We've been back 3 months now and we've answered several of the same questions a few times so thought we'd cover some of them--

What surprised you the most?

This one has several answers: 1) not many bugs. There were mosquitoes and flies but I think I expected there to be more beetle-type bugs around. Now, it wasn't rainy season and we were mostly in cities and that may have had some effect but that surprised me. 2) Lots of the blogs we read talked about the overwhelming odors and neither of us noticed that. Yes, it smelled different--more spicy or something--there's lots of cooking on the streets, etc., but we didn't experience the "got off the plane and it hit me" sense. And one of us actually has a decent sense of smell. 3) not a lot of curiosity about way of life in the U.S. Lots of questions from students about how to get there but not about how we live. Perhaps the media has convinced them we all live like in the TV shows. 4) My stars, the traffic!

Most positive thing? The people: open, friendly, smiling, willing to share. The colors---flowers, cloth, buildings, paintings.

Most negative? The pollution, especially air.

Other impressions: : no personal space, physically, if you've not got your own hotel room. Not a bad thing unless you're an American who's used to it and wants to be alone. If you're in public, you're fair game.
Do NOT even think about driving in a city. We were lucky--a driver met us at the airport, was available to take us everywhere we went in Kolkata, and we hired a driver when we went to Mumbai. Not only are they driving on the 'wrong' side of the road but their whole approach is different than ours. One of the things my exchange partner commented on was that "Americans all obey the rules". he was talking about the fact that we stop at red lights, stop signs, stay in our lanes, and the like. Beyond that, I don't know how you'd know where to go or how to get there. One of my fellow VCCS folks has considerable experience in Lagos and said that's the only traffic he's seen that even approaches Kolkata. Mike was in Soeul 30 years ago and said it was close to this.
Construction all over the place. And, since they can't use wood (termites and rain), it's a lot of concrete which is messy to use. Then, when it rains, the buildings get stained (moldy?) quickly and look older than they are.
heard lots of yelling (in traffic) but rarely rancor in the people's voices--this is just how they were 'discussing' the traffic situation. The manner of speech, particularly to an 'underling' was very abrupt and dismissive. Again, didn't so much think it was hateful as just the way it is.
Do not drink the water. That means, don't brush your teeth with the water, don't gargle while showering (I practiced for 2 weeks showering with my mouth closed). I immediately dried my face/lips after I showered or washed my face. Not getting sick was one of my goals and I succeeded. Carry toilet paper, tissues, and anti-bacterial wipes and lotion all the time.
Their sweets are VERY sweet, at least in Bengal. Whew! too much sugar.
Cell phones were everywhere.
Take someone shopping with you who knows how to bargain and knows what's what, unless you're very experienced at that.
Small shops, small shops, small shops, all over--every street is just lined with small businesses.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb