Destination Iceland


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Dulles
May 28th 2022
Published: June 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We hoped the late spring of 2022 would be the time to begin to travel abroad once again. The Covid-19 pandemic had shut off foreign travel for all of 2020 and 2021. Iceland was a place we wanted to visit, especially since we had visited Greenland in 2019. Iceland dropped its incoming Covid test requirement at the end of February. We booked the 8 day Iceland Adventure tour with Globus.

Icelandair flight 644 departed Washington Dulles International Airport at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. We opted for Economy Plus seating. The Boeing 767 aircraft afforded 2-abreast seating which was very nice. On Icelandair, one purchases meals in economy class. We purchased the "Three-course Hot Meal" in advance. It consisted of a parma ham, tomatoes and mozzarella appetizer. lasagna and tiramisu. It was not bad at all.

I didn't sleep on the 5 hour 20 minute flight. (The equivalent of flying to Los Angeles from Dulles.) I watched a few of the brief Icelandair videos about Iceland, but wish there had been more. One was a playful list of rules for visitors, about washing all body parts before entering a thermal bath, what do do when a road changes from asphalt to gravel, camping only in designated areas, dressing in layers, and not stepping on the moss.

We crossed the southern tip of Greenland about 12:50 a.m., EDT. The aircraft looked like it was about over Nanortalik where we had been in 2019. Dawn was breaking and we entered the Land of the Midnight Sun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Icelandair DinnerIcelandair Dinner
Icelandair Dinner

Three-course hot meal aboard icelandair. Parma ham, tomatoes and mozzarella appetizer; Lasagna al forno; Tiramisu. IMG_5905
Midnight SunMidnight Sun
Midnight Sun

Midnight Sun at 1:12 a.m. EDT. IMG_5917


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb