Bristol, VA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Bristol
October 17th 2022
Published: February 26th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Sugar Hollow ParkSugar Hollow ParkSugar Hollow Park

We enjoyed this campground. The sites were nestled in the trees and spaced apart. There was a nice walking/bike path and hiking trails. We enjoyed a morning hike along 2 of the trails.
A drive northeast on Route I-81 took us next to Sugar Hollow Campground, a gorgeous heavily wooded leaf-covered city park facility. Bristol sits on the border between Virginia and Tennessee. We enjoyed the Birthplace of Country Music Museum and learned how emerging music recording technology brought mountain music to the masses. We learned that June Carter’s (Cash) parents were famous country music singers. The museum’s karaoke sound booth allowed you to make a (thankfully) temporary recording of country music songs. The next day we hiked the campground’s Ben’s and Cliff’s trails down to the picnic area and back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Birthplace of Country Music MuseumBirthplace of Country Music Museum
Birthplace of Country Music Museum

This museum tells the story of the legendary 1927 Bristol Sessions. This was an historic event that sparked what is known as the "big bang of country music." Plan to spend 2-3 hours going through the exhibits. The museum houses a broadcasting studio for Radio Bristol that brings vintage and modern roots music 24/7.
QuiltQuilt
Quilt

Donated to the museum by the Bristol TN/VA Chapter of the Embroiderer's Guild of America. Beautiful!
Twin CitiesTwin Cities
Twin Cities

Looking down historic State Street where Virginia and Tennessee meet. Stand in the middle of the street and have a foot in each state.


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb