Salem, VA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Salem
October 20th 2022
Published: February 26th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Dixie Caverns Campground was the closest we could stay to Lynchburg. The grounds were pretty sketchy, but the office gift shop/antique store was fun. After a workout at Planet Fitness, we drove to the Peaks of Otter and climbed Sharp Top Mountain. If you like climbing a ladder for a couple of hours straight, you would enjoy this hike. That same day we visited old haunts in Lynchburg including our first apartment and first house. We enjoyed catching up with David Smith that night at La Villa Italian restaurant. David was in our college and career group at Timberlake Baptist.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

MountainsMountains
Mountains

Scenic overlook as we hiked up Sharp Mountain. We loved being back in these mountains.
Are we there yet?Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?

This climb was challenging, but we were determined to reach the top and take in the panoramic view.
Elevation 3875Elevation 3875
Elevation 3875

Almost to the peak!
Spectacular viewSpectacular view
Spectacular view

Worth the climb to see the view from the top. It was a perfect day to hike. Next time we wear our hiking boots not tennis shoes.
Peaks of Otter LodgePeaks of Otter Lodge
Peaks of Otter Lodge

View of the historic lodge and Abbott Lake. Wish we had more time to visit this trip.
SummitSummit
Summit

We wanted proof we made it to the top. Now for the hike back down and on to Lynchburg.
ReunionReunion
Reunion

Loved getting to visit David and have dinner together. A friendship that spans over 40 years. Thanks for your hospitality!


Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.12s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb