Heiskell, TN (2)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Knoxville
October 13th 2022
Published: February 26th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Cades CoveCades CoveCades Cove

The drive to the Cades Cove circle drive was beautiful. Glad we were not driving Milo and we passed through this bridge.
Our shortest travel day was just down the road to Volunteer Park where we met a nice couple, Jamie and Gary, relocating from California. We drove to Cade’s Cove and hiked first at Abram’s Falls Trail before driving the Circle Tour. One unexpected highlight was a visit by a bear cub crossing the road! A visit to the Union County Opry in Maynardville that night, featuring Confederated Railroad, convinced us that the south will rise again. We visited the American Museum of Science and Industry in Oak Ridge and learned about the national impact of nuclear energy. On Sunday we attended a local megachurch, Grace Baptist, and then headed to downtown Knoxville to experience the observation deck of the Sun Sphere (from the 1982 World’s Fair).


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

HikingHiking
Hiking

We enjoyed hiking a few miles along the creek. So beautiful an peaceful.
TreesTrees
Trees

The trail is cut through a lovely. Loving the autumn colors.
HikeHike
Hike

With the hills on the trail we quickly warmed up. This was an easy hike.
Anthony CreekAnthony Creek
Anthony Creek

You could see and hear the creek along the trail. Several small waterfalls and lots of fallen trees.
WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

Loved the sound of the water as we hiked.
NatureNature
Nature

It was hard to turn around and head back to the Jeep to drive the circle tour. We love getting out and hiking!
Cades Cove LoopCades Cove Loop
Cades Cove Loop

This is an 11 mile, one way road that circles the cove. The drive through the valley is surrounded by beautiful mountain vistas. There are historic cabins, churches, and a gristmill to explore along the loop. Allow about 2 hours to drive the 11 miles.
ScenicScenic
Scenic

Even if you decide not to stop at the historic buildings, the loop drive is a must for the scenery. We could live in a cabin here!
MountainsMountains
Mountains

There are beautiful views like this along the loop that capture the valley and the surrounding mountains. You can understand why people settled here.
Bear cubBear cub
Bear cub

This young one crossed the road few cars in front of us. Did not seemed bothered at all by the cars.
Union County OpryUnion County Opry
Union County Opry

We saw a few billboards for this concert and after a little research decided to make the drive and experience some country music in TN.
Southern SpiritSouthern Spirit
Southern Spirit

These gentleman played old time country music. Great openers for the show.
Confederate RailroadConfederate Railroad
Confederate Railroad

They are an American country rock band founded in 1987 in Marietta, Georgia. They were entertaining and there were a few songs we recognized.
SunsphereSunsphere
Sunsphere

It was overcast as we walked through Knoxville. We enjoyed visitng the 1982 World's Fair Park and riding up to the Observation Deck. It offers a nice view of downtown Knoxville.
AmphitheaterAmphitheater
Amphitheater

The only structures remaining from the 1982 World's Fair are the Sunsphere and Amphitheater. This was the first World's Fair held in the South. There were 11,127,780 visitors and open from May 1 to October 31. Some of the items introduced at this fair were solar panels and touchscreens. 22 countries exhibited. The fair cost the city of Knoxville $46 million and had a total profit of $57.
Big GameBig Game
Big Game

One of the downtown shops indicating how long University of Tennessee fans have been waiting for a win over Alabama. They got it this weekend! Go orange!


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb