Missiquoi River


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont
May 28th 2010
Published: May 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Alrighty! Have a few minutes at a local library in Enosburgh Falls Vermont! Vermont has been pretty country, lots of green of course, but not foresty like new york. Lots and lots of farms! And ya know that wonderful whiff of cows every here and there! Well we left Plattsburgh couple of nights ago i guess three or four days ago now. (losing track of time here...) We had to go into town that morning and pick stuff up and got a late start. Paddled to the ferry that took us across Lake Champlain. Had we have known that it was going to be a perfect day that day we might have gotten up early and just paddled it. But since it was the afternoon there were too many boats out making big wakes so it probably wasn't too safe. We paddled up the other side on fairly glassy water, i'm imagining it was about as calm as that lake gets! We were able to get up to the northern side without any big crossings, which was nice! It started getting late so we wanted to eat and do a little more paddling. We stopped at a state park on the map, but it wasn't open yet the Ranger at least let us set up on the beach and cook some dinner. I'm sort of surprised he let us do that he was pretty strict on no one being there till it opened. Oh well just doing his job i guess. So we got back in the canoe and realized it was getting darker. So we pulled up on somebodys lawn and asked if we could camp. He was nice enough to let us and even had a little cottage we could use the bathroom in! Man! We are good at picking the right yards to pull up in! he he.

Got up early the next day. We were pretty tired and slowly paddled our way up. Bob (the guy who let us camp on his lawn) told us about a little bakery/coffee shop up the way. So we stopped for some goodies, and took a break because for some reason we were really tired. Back to the canoe...we paddled through a culvert to get into another part of the lake that was smaller just in case it was windy we would be blocked. Well this culvert was just barely big enough for our canoe to fit through. AND there were big spiders crawling all over! I suppose it was a lot faster than hauling the canoe up and over the road. But i think i might have taken that way instead oh well...makes for a good story right? We made it up to the northern end of the lake eventually that day. We found a campground with showers! Woo hoo!! And got a good nights rest! We were glad to find this campground as our map only had a few campgrounds for the whole 60 miles and this one wasn't on there.

The next day we headed up onto the Misisquoi River which we have to go up! The first part was really wide without much of a current, which was nice. It was kind of marshy too, definitley felt a bit different for awhile. Had a primitive campsite by one of our portages which didn't have much space for a tent so we had it on a hill. I kept slipping to the bottom and i think there was a tree root underneath my back. Oh and the weather got really hot for about two days! We were just sticky and dirty. Wish we had had a shower that night! It did rain for about 10 minutes but that didn't cool it off too much just made it more humid!

Yesterday we got back on the river and had a lot more current. A few rapids that we had to track and line up, which means pushing the boat up them. Not exactly a ton of fun and i kept slipping and stubbing my toes. So Brian did most of the work 😊 such a good husband i have!! I did grab the line a couple of times and help him pull it up the big rapids. There were also a lot of rapids that weren't on the map. Plus the directions for portages weren't that great. It was probably the most work we've done the whole time! This river has been pretty tough. I've defintely had days where I just want to give up! Oh we did get a ride from some hydro plant guys at one of our portages. They were nice and had actually helped some girls a couple of years ago who did the trail. Funny because we had actually emailed these same girls to ask them some questions. It seems they had a rough time on this part of the trail.

Camped at the end of the portage last night in Enosburgh Falls and had a really yummy breakfast at a greasy spoon. And were able to call a shop in Newport, VT to order us some cans of fuel which we have been having a hard time finding! I think we're just gonna stock up! We'll get to Newport on Monday probably and take a few days off and regroup again! We're pretty exhausted, i think we could nap after breakfast every morning!

Ok well i should probably get going we've got about 10 miles up river today! Hope you are all doing well! Thanks for all the comments! Can't wait to get home and tell you all about it in person!

Till next time
Ahab and Starbuck!

Advertisement



28th May 2010

Wow!
Hey, we sure do miss you at Fitness Ridge. I love reading your blog. Sounds like you are having the time of your life and working hard at it!!! I think it's a wonderful experience that you are doing and will remember this for the rest of your lives. Take care and be safe. Sandy
28th May 2010

Waa Hoo!!!
Whitny, I never would have pegged you for such an adventurous, outdoor girl but You're AMAZING!! I've been bragging to my classmates about you and there are even no guys who say they would do what you're doing, let alone girls. Everyone is very impressed! Take care and take breaks when you need them. Have a safe trip and I'll talk to you soon. Carla
29th May 2010

Sounds like your having a good time. I'm glad there are people out there kind enough to help you guys out! Love you, continue to be safe!
29th May 2010

heading north
We are almost packed and ready to drive to Lake Placid. We are trying to "map" your route and may be able to catch up with you in person. If not we hope you will want to return to the area some day. Love and prayers, Uncle Bob and Vivian
30th May 2010

WOW!!!
What wonderful memories you are making!!!!
30th May 2010

WOW!!!
What wonderful memories you are making!!!!

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb