June 16 Dalton, MA to Mt Graylock, MA to Seth Warner Shelter, VT 13.2 Miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont
June 26th 2009
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Another night of restful sleep under a roof. Up by 6:30 making breakfast and packing the packs again. Rob loaded us into the van at 8:30 and off we went back to Mt Graylock. Walking the 17 miles yesterday was a great idea. A day off and still made good miles. The drive up the mountain went well. One of the new guys was slack packing back to town the 17 miles rode with us.

10AM we were shouldering our evil Siamese twins back onto our backs. They were upset we had left them home the day before and had gained weight in retaliation. The top was still shrouded in fog as we said good bye to Rob. Down into the forest we went. The weather report was in our favor for the next two days. Dropping the seven miles into North Adams, MA took three hours. The day was warming but the trail was steep with much mud from yesterday’s storm. We had lunch in the woods just outside town as the climb back up started. Four miles up the hill was the MA/VT state line.

Climbing the pitch was not difficult, just long and taxing. The last 100' went over some tricky rocks. We made the 1,800'+ climb in two hours. CC said she was worn out but would still have no problem making the shelter. We only met three people all day before getting to the shelter. Two women going up Graylock and one guy at the state line. Walking into the shelter we saw a large set of bear tracks coming out the trail. At least they were going away from us!

Three young guys walking "The Long Trail," a trail running from MA to Canada in VT, were there eating supper. A lady with her dog was setting up her tent. We found a flat spot and set our camp up. Supper has been made CC is in her bag and it is getting cool. Tomorrow another 13.5 miles and we will pass the half way point for this year, 582.4 miles.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost

For Photos and Video: http://odandccslongwalk.shutterfly.com/

OD and CC have been marking their path with a GPS using SPOT Satellite Messenger and can be tracked at the following link. It keeps track of their last 7 days: http://tinyurl.com/o2g53z

Advertisement



20th July 2009

sorry I missed you.
Wish we could have met you. Maybe next time. Here is link to the Flicker page. http://www.flickr.com/photos/n1dqu_wlsphoto/

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb