June 15 Dalton, MA to Mt Graylock, MA to Dalton, MA 17 Miles


Advertisement
Published: June 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This morning we are going to "Slack Pack." Rob is taking us to the top of Mt Graylock to drop us off. We will walk back to his house with only daypacks. We carry our lunch, water and our rain jackets. It is a different thing for us walking without our big packs. It is easier on our bodies and we can move quicker.

The day was overcast as we got out of the van. After a stop at the restroom we headed down the mountain. The forest here looks like Maine or Alaska, short pines and lots of water. The forest smelled wonderful after all the rain. We met a group of older men coming up the trail on their Monday morning climb. A great way to stay in shape. There were eight or ten northbound hikers who passed us as we headed back for town. We started at 10AM and made the first half by 12:30.

After passing through Cheshire we headed back up into the mountains. Walking into the forest we heard the first rumblings of thunder. We all know how that motivates CC. Walking up hill into a thunder storm is not one of my favorite things either. We made it to the top of Crystal Mtn before the rain started at 2PM. Rain came down in buckets! Thunder rolled across the sky lightening flashed overhead and we nearly ran down the trail. What a great day not to be weighed down with the larger pack. We made the 17 miles back to town in seven hours. The rain started to slack off by 4:30 but we still got soaked to the skin. We no longer tried to skirt water, we walked through all but the deepest stuff.

Back at the house it was showers and laundry again. Then out to the buffet with two new hikers who came in off the trail earlier today. Tomorrow CC and I will get a ride back to the top of Graylock. Then it is our last few miles in MA and on to VT. By the end of the day we will be down to three states and pass the halfway mark for this year. It has been a good break for us, but we need to get moving again. We should be done in 45 more days.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost

For Photos and Video: http://odandccslongwalk.shutterfly.com/

OD and CC have been marking their path with a GPS using SPOT Satellite Messenger and can be tracked at the following link. It keeps track of their last 7 days: http://tinyurl.com/o2g53z

Advertisement



Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1965s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb