Great Family Skiing at Pico, Vermont


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont » Rutland
March 6th 2007
Published: March 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We were in the mood for a change from soft, white sand to fresh, powdery snow. The Pico/Killington area of Vermont is a doable day trip from Ballston Lake. We met our daughter, Beth, and her family in the lower lodge at Pico - the part of the lodge which allows picnics . The weather was beautiful - no wind; with snow flurries continuing all day long making condidtions perfect - fresh powder over nicely groomed trails. Pico seems more suitable for family skiing than Killington; especially when little ones are involved. Beth and Chris are using harnesses to keep the boys in control and let them develop the hang of skiing. They are doing quite well. Casey (age 5) has learned how to turn and stop. Jack (age 3 and a half) has discovered that putting his hands on is knees and aiming his butt in the air gives him better balance. The parents are patient - VERY Patient - and don't push it too much. Frequent stops for breaks, lunch, snacks, coloring books, and just exploring the lodge are allowed. We skied with the boys; then Beth and Chris took a few runs while Wes and I were entertained by the boys in the lodge; then we had our turn. We hadn't skied for two years; but did just fine sticking to intermeddiate trails - no more black diamonds EVER! After a great day, we used our cell phone to order hearty take out food at Upper Crust Pizza shop on the Mountain Rd. west of Rutland and picked it up on the way by. The day ended with a nice time playing with the boys at their home in Ira, Vt. We were back in Ballston Lake, exhausted but happily so shortly after 8pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb