A Heroes Welcome - A Top down trip through the heart of New England


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont » Lake Champlain
October 25th 2010
Published: August 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

“Wow! Your house is truly beautiful” – It was. Eric and Benny were stood at the end of their drives off a quiet single track road on an Island in the middle of Lake Champlain, Vermont, USA. Behind them was a heart-warming view of New England in the fall, or autumn as I call it. They had matching large clapperboard houses on the east coast of the small Island. The houses were immaculate in their identical plots of verdant, religiously clipped green grass, and each had a matching car garage off to one side. Their large porches looked out over an un-interrupted view of the lake and the hills beyond. On this day in October the sun was setting behind us, casting comforting sun east over the millpond lake to the changing golden hills of Vermont in the distance. I couldn’t work out if this picture was as sickly sweet as the Maple Syrup the region is famous for, or if it was just a perfect image of what New England should be seen as. I decided on the latter as it all felt so warm and comforting.

There was not a cloud in the sky and the two guys knew they were two of a lucky few living in a location easily, but not flippantly, described as beautiful.

We had been on the road from Southern Vermont for some six hours – it was cold, really cold, but us being Brits abroad, we had driven the entire way with the convertible top down, enjoying Vermont’s famous views and vistas of landscapes changing colours before our eyes. As usual we had been drawn towards the water on the map; it usually pays off with a great place to stay for us. Once again we were not to be disappointed.

After the hours of rolling hills and trees changing from golds and reds to russets and finally browns and then falling as we passed, we were keen to sample the fare that Vermont is also famous for in this time of change in their environment; game, pumpkin and maple syrup, to name a few.

We crossed a small bridge onto and Island called South Hero, it had only one road running its length with beautiful large New England clapperboard houses either side and the lake wrapping them all in a calming watery cloak, no more than a five minute walk from the road on both sides. It was remote but evidently quite affluent and it was here we met the proud neighbours and asked their advice on where to stay. Their recommendation turned out to be the only place to stay on the Island. However, as we soon found out, you don’t need more than one when the one you have is pretty much perfect in every way.

Ten minutes further down the road from Eric and Benny’s All-American dream we arrived in North Hero and found North Hero House majestically sat by the side of the road, looking out over the lake. It modestly calls itself a guest house but this 18th century town house is much more than that. All of its main nine rooms have stunning views east over the lake to the maple hills in the distance. With the sun setting behind us over the lake we could see the snow-capped green mountain range far in the distance.
That evening after a nap in a bed big enough for an old English palace (there are steps to get in!), we dined on the local produce we had been searching for, ending on a particularly tasty pumpkin pie. Our table was by a huge window and with a roaring log fire at our backs we watched night settle over the lake and felt warm in our grand yet cosy surroundings.

The owners of North Hero House were bankers who travelled the world, finally settling on a paradise lake on which in the summer they sail and water-ski, and in winter they ice-skate. Whatever the season the views are fit for any artists’ brush or photographers’ lens.

The accommodation is comfortable and classy, the food is locally sourced and sophisticated, the staff are welcoming and keen to please, and the whole experience leaves one feeling well looked after and personally nourished.

We had breakfast the next morning, again on the porch over the lake and then, as the mist rose from the water on another crisp autumn morning we drove over the northern bridge heading to Canada. We stopped just back on the main land and looked back to see a row of clapperboard houses by the lake lit up in the morning sun from the east, a scene fit for any Hero.

Vermont is staggeringly beautiful, and huge in its
Michelle samples the local fareMichelle samples the local fareMichelle samples the local fare

Usually they cook it of course
beauty. It is known as New England – yet feels vast in comparison to the hills of Surrey and the Home Counties it takes its name from. The Hero islands of Lake Champlain are a hidden gem offering striking views and charming good quality lodging at North Hero House. Beautiful.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb