Little Wild Horse Canyon and Goblin Valley State Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
October 15th 2016
Published: October 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Saturday October 15 - Today we drove a few hours to get to Arches National Park, but we made a couple of stops on the way. We decided to go to Little Wild Horse canyon, for a small hike, and to Goblin State Park, to see some of the goblin-like rock formations. It was a bit quick, and to do so, we had to give up a day later on in Monument Valley, but it was a better choice for us at the time.

Little Wild Horse is a slot canyon, which means it really narrow, like walking through a tall, narrow, windy hallway. Really cool, actually. Terribly dangerous if there is any rain in the area, as this is prime location for flash floods, but it was clear skies and had been for days. It took us a little negotiating to get down into it, but we managed. The problem with Saturdays is crowding, and we were in "luck", as every Boy Scout troop in Utah seemed to be here today. One boy had lost his footing at some point and was on his way out as we were going in. We saw all the blood he left behind on the rocks where he hit his head. Poor kiddo.

We spent a little less than two hours in the canyon, but it was a good experience.

From there we stopped at Goblin Valley State Park and wandered around for an hour or so between the rock formations. It was hot and sunny, and at that point we had seen what we came for. But it was good to see it.

Then we drove on to Arches National Park (next blog).


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



30th October 2016

I speak too soon.
You have put in some pics of Goblin SP. Sorry I interpreted from your previous blog of Arches NP that you did after Goblin SP that as no goblin pics it did not grab you. Being formations from the edge of an ancient estuary edge of a lake or sea the formations are pretty extraordinary.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb