Carrot Man Pictograph Site


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
September 16th 2012
Published: September 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This rock can be art found within the Canyon Pintado National Historic District, at the Carrot Man Site. All photographs are from my personal collection.

At milepost 11.6, along the Dragonfly Road, take the dirt road that heads off to the west. There is a sign indicating the Cottonwood Creek Carrot Man Site. Drive 0.3 miles to a pull-out on the left side of the road, at the top of a small rise, at GPS Coordinates (NAD83): 39 56.842N; 108 53.413W; at an elevation of 6,085 feet. There is a typical brown BLM trail sign, but any markings have faded away. Park here. Just to the left (south) of the road is a small gully.

I walked down the gully and headed south, following the course of the dry stream bed. In a short distance we encountered a metal BLM historical marker near several small overhangs embellished with crude modern graffiti. Continue on past the sign, following the narrow trail through the trees to where the gully opens into a larger canyon.

To your right you will see a large overhang. Step in that direction and you will come to another historic marker. Looking straight ahead you will see several amazing pictograph and petroglyph images on the surface underneath the overhand. The “carrot” men here are very colorful. There are also several blue pieces, but we are not sure if these are authentic. We have never seen this vivid blue color on any other rock art, and, because of the blue “devil-like” image nearby, we suspect that these pieces may be frauds. But, again, we may be wrong.





The Canyon Pintado National Historic District is made up of several individual petroglyph and pictograph sites scattered over several miles, both in Canyon Pintado proper, among the canyons along the Dragonfly Road to the west, and east and west of Rangely just off of Highway 64. See our Personal Notes for more details on the Carrot Man Site.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb