If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen....we did


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
May 21st 2006
Published: May 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 18: Frey Canyon to Monticello, UT


Total Miles: 76.6 (1206.8mi total)


We awoke around 6 (a little later than we'd hoped) just in time to see Randy and Scott coming up the hill toward us (they bivied at Hite and started at 3AM to beat the heat) - another coincidental encounter with them ... funny how we keep running into them at exactly the right time. Arthur and I rallied hard today all the way to Blanding - a steep ride it was (Comb Wash was my favorite - a super steep drop for miles into this wash, then a climb out - our timing was perfect and the climb was shaded the entire way). We hung out in Blanding for a few hours - Scott and Randy caught up with us, we all enjoyed fantastic root beer floats. Arthur and I decided today that we would vow to complete this trip in style - in order to do this we've created a few rules (basically things we've seen others do that we don't want to do) - these apply unless something terrible happens or we're in dire need of help.


1. We will not hitch hike to gain ground eastward (we have not hitched at all yet - we feel it's okay to hitch to an out of the way location if the opportunity arises, but not to further our distance toward the east). We will rely solely on our bikes and our bodies to power them.


2. We will be self supported - meaning we will not ask for food or water from passerbys (unless we're desperate) or have others carry our belongings in vehicles (we do have an offer for Scott's wife to carry our things over Monarch ... this is very tempting and we'll soon see if the rules bend for this climb - she's flying in to meet them in Sargents).


3. We will not steal or be free-loaders





We first thought that this was all implied in a cross country bike trip, but we have learned that biking is much like climbing, there are many ways to get up a route and style does matter (French freeing isn't the same as freeing a route).


We left Blanding that afternoon and went straight to Monticello. Arthur and I are familiar with Monticello's offerings due to the many trips for water while climbing at Inidan Creek - we went straight to the Subway. Randy and Scott met up with us, ordered their subs, and left for their hotel. Here I felt my first pangs of jealousy, a yearning for a cush tour - wireless internet, comfy beds, a shower, a toilet. We were all feeling pretty helpless (we had investigated free places to camp but to no avail - we were running out of options), when this beautiful woman approached us asking if we needed a place to stay. Our eyes brightened and she said that although she lived 20 miles out of town and would love to have us but didn't think we'd want to bike the distance, she had plenty of friends who lived across the street who should be happy to have us. She got on her phone, pulled a few strings and before we knew it we had a fantastic camping spot in the yard of the owners of the Peace Tree Cafe and hot showers to top it off. Even more exciting, we enjoyed a complimentary breakfast at the days inn the next morning (the lady who worked there was impressed with our travels). Just when we were feeling a bit out of luck, the karma police took care of things and we were living the life again. Sometimes I can't believe how things come around for us ...




Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb