Zion


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
October 9th 2009
Published: October 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Andrew pounds some tent stakesAndrew pounds some tent stakesAndrew pounds some tent stakes

Setting up our first campsite.
From Las Vegas, it was a pretty short drive to Zion National Park. When we reached the park, the good news was that there was a campsite available. The bad news was, if we wanted to stay 2 nights (we did), we would have to move to a different site, since we were in the "overflow" camping at a group site that would be occupied the following night. Not too bad, considering we would only have to drive about 200 yards.

Since it was well into the afternoon by the time we set up camp, we decided to have an early dinner and wait until Wednesday to explore the park. Our campsite location was spectacular enough, surrounded by towering rock formations set in a beautiful landscape of plants, trees, and wildlife. We had a good camp dinner and settled in for a good night's rest. Although we were technically in a "group" campground, and therefore in close proximity to our neighboring campers, all were pleasant and compatible and we slept well in moderate temperatures (40-plus).

The next morning, after bacon and blueberry pancakes, we boarded the park shuttle (private vehicles are not permitted in most of the park, due to unmanageable congestion when all visitors were permitted to drive through the narrow canyon). We enjoyed viewing the various rock cliffs and formations in the park, and ultimately left the shuttle to hike one of the easier trails, following the Virgin River through narrow walls. Although there were many fellow tourists on the hike, it still afforded the opportunity to view this enormous canyon from many changing angles. For the first time on our trip, we encountered rain while visiting a site, although it was mostly a pretty light drizzle and didn't prevent us from completing our hike.

After returning to camp via the shuttle, we decided to visit the nearby gateway town of Springdale for a coffee and Internet access. We succeeded in securing accommodations at Bryce Canyon, but were unable to confirm availability at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Camping there had moved to a first-come, first-served basis for the Fall/Winter season, so we would have to try our luck there the next morning.

By the time we returned to camp, our usual splendid weather had returned, and we were treated to freshly-washed views of the canyon, along with some actual clouds--something we haven't
Trail/not trailTrail/not trailTrail/not trail

Pointing out the difference between the trail (walking OK) and not-the-trail (walking not OK), as noted on several signs.
seen a lot of. We rested well again and made an early start for the North Rim.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

PhotographersPhotographers
Photographers

I turned around to snap all of the hikers standing in the middle of the river in order to get the "perfect shot." The water was cold.
Rain?Rain?
Rain?

The addition of clouds and drizzle made for a change of pace, and some dramatic scenes. Our tent is visible near the bottom right of the picture.
Sunshine returnsSunshine returns
Sunshine returns

Along with a cooperative cloud and a freshly-washed landscape.


Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb