Beauty in The Belly of The Beast


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
November 19th 2007
Published: November 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Red sandstone stalwarts rise sheer from Zion’s dappled valley floor. A play of afternoon light draws over the autumnal colors, the likely catalyst to a fleeting thought so loaded my mind reeled at its enormity, detaching me from the corporeal. Flashbacks from the previous two weeks were checked and counter-checked with sentiments and impressions from my years of travel, evaluating and filtering for the confirmation and clarity to quash this treacherous theory. The proposition left me mortified, like discovering I’m George W. Bush’s love child. Is-America-the-most-beautiful-country-in-the-world?

I’d always had this romantic notion of travelling the entire world before setting foot in America. I’d then spend months whimsically hitchhiking around in search of the definitive answer to exactly what makes the most powerful nation in the world tick. But here I was in the flesh, woefully premature of that target, bursting with media-fueled preconceptions and misguided stereotypes.

From Jennifer’s home in La Crosse, Wisconsin, the entire country seemed to fan out from her doorstep on the upper reaches of the Mississippi. Cutting a path from north to south, the formidable river was once the border between the established settlements of the east and the unchartered frontier of the west. The legendary association with adventure, discovery, and the open road precluded any debate about which direction we would head on our trip. Due west were the glaciers of Montana, the badlands of South Dakota, and the granddaddy of all national parks, Yellowstone. However, the early onset of snow was closing roads and campsites, forcing us to surrender contemporary notions of conquering nature to the time-honored wisdom of communing with it.

You can’t get around in America without your own set of wheels, so to see the wide open spaces of the west in any detail, renting a car was the only way to travel. We pointed the car south and began our drive through hours upon hours of flat farmland, until on our second day we made our first notable stop in Dodge City, Kansas.

The most numerous single species of large wild mammal in the world, the American Bison, once encircled Dodge City. But in a genocidal campaign of mass slaughter the huge herds were destroyed in an effort to deny the Native Americans of their primary food source, and to leave them no option but to starve or move on west. From its beginnings as a staging post in the Indian Wars, Dodge City grew infamously into the archetypal Wild West town, portrayed in many a western movie for its legacy of lawlessness and gun-slinging during the constant battle with those pesky Indians. Manifest destiny saw to it that the good guys always won of course, and the humbly defeated Indian chiefs rode off into a sunset, their feathered bonnets silhouetted as a poignant symbol of their peoples’ fade into history.

As the sun set on our second day, we crossed the border into New Mexico, stopping at the Rabbit Ear Café. And as I slid into a vinyl booth I began to experience déjà visité; so much so, that when the waitress burst out through the swing door dressed in an apron, she was smiling and chewing her gum exactly how I anticipated she would be. I was taken aback by this, until I realized I had been here before, and doubtless you have, too. The subliminal messages emanating from TVs tens of thousands of miles away have their homes here in the diners, studios and minds of this powerful agenda-setting nation, regardless of whether we’ve ever been here or not.

It seemed we were the only campers in Clayton Lake State Park braving the chill that night, but as we cooked our burritos on the stove in the darkness, our solitude was invaded by the US Military’s latest billion dollar fighter jet, which was no doubt testing its thrust vectoring super cruise stealth technology at 1200mph, 500ft above our tent. Or maybe, in hindsight, it was looking for speeders.

The next morning after exploring prehistoric dinosaur tracks around the lake, we hit an open freeway sparsely populated by cars who had their cruise controls set precisely to the speed limit, abiding by menacing signs that warned, ‘Your speed may be monitored by aircraft’, or, that in work zones fines are doubled. The frustration of pottering along on virtually deserted roads fuelled a philosophical debate between Jennifer and me about behavior modification, Big Brother and motivation by material self-interest. However, as we hit the southern Rocky Mountain foothills after three days on the monotonous plains, the car in front, the speed we travelled and the Orwellian road signs all faded into insignificance as their priorities were reassigned by the sheer beauty of nature in fall.

It’s no wonder New Mexico has flourished
TaosTaosTaos

New Mexico
over the years as a home for artists drawing on its natural inspiration. With its Anglo minority, old Spanish adobe mission churches, and rich Native American cultural heritage, New Mexico felt like ‘Olde Mexico’ overrun by Yankee tourists and their permanent holiday homes.

One hundred fifty years ago this was Mexican territory before it was subjugated in a war in which the elites of America stole land from the elites of Mexico. They roused and exploited their own populations to slay the other’s for their own private benefit, regardless of the fact that the land they fought and killed over belonged to neither the Mexican colonialists nor the American colonialists.

Before coming here I never knew Native American communities such as those in Taos were so culturally rich, and furthermore, that they still exist to this day. Or that their diversity extends to 296 recognized indigenous languages north of the Mexican border and twice as many tribes. I knew nothing of a genuinely democratic cultural heritage stretching back thousands of years. Or that they weren’t wiped out by the White Settler’s accomplice, Mother Nature, who conveniently cleansed the land of the Red men via the common cold, as I had been taught, but rather, were part of the biggest genocidal act ever committed in the history of mankind. And alas, neither was I prepared for the fact that their descendants now eke out a living at Wal-Mart and Taco Bell, or live in ‘reserves’ into which they were herded, when white European settlers began forcibly stealing the land on which they had lived for 15,000 years.

After touring the north of New Mexico we travelled across the state border into Colorado, where we traced more Native American cultural heritage at the spectacular millennia-old cliff dwellings of Mesa Verde. Seasonal campsite closures forced us to camp wherever we found a suitable spot, and rise at the crack of dawn for fear of being punished for trespassing by the new inheritors of this land. We then headed up into the Rockies, to follow the scenic San Juan skyway loop, when our journey of cultural exploration began to morph into a form of rampant nature consumerism.

Leaving the desert behind and ascending into the snowy mountains, Mother Nature’s sensory manifestations enchanted, seducing our senses and feeding our compulsion until we were totally smitten. A hypnotic fanaticism gripped us; in pursuit of the next high, we hypocritically gas-guzzled our way from one natural wonder to the next, in an obsessive drive to see as many highlights as possible.

With the camping season drawn to a close for all but the hardy, we again camped alone. Waking to a sun-thawed morning, mist rose all around as we packed away our tent in the shadow of snowy peaks. By lunchtime we were basking in the warmth of a beautiful sagebrush desert scene. And by sunset we were charging through The Valley of the Gods as her red tones deepened in the last rays of light, camping overnight in Monument Valley to witness a sunrise spectacle, in arguably the most awe-inspiring desert scenery in the world.

And this is how it went, racing from one natural wonder to the next. Rising to catch the dulcet tones of dawn and chasing the sun until it dipped in all its glory on the western horizon. That evening it was the Grand Canyon, then in subsequent order: Zion, Canyonlands, Arches, and Rocky Mountain National Parks… from Arizona, across Utah, and up into northern Colorado…

The sheer sense of space and timeless beauty left
Mesa VerdeMesa VerdeMesa Verde

Colorado
me as euphoric as if this were my first foray abroad, yet markedly different from the sensation experienced in exotic lands, where the myriad cultural differences bombard your senses and make your nerves tingle with delight. Here, my mind had already processed and accepted the fact that these places existed, after seeing them in pictures or on the silver screen, thus preempting any feelings of culture shock. This experience was akin to spirituality, as if somehow a dreamlike prophecy had been fulfilled.

Driving a car through such picture postcard scenery with the power to decide on direction, speed, and destination gave an enormous sense of freedom. Racing along in modern-day steed, no matter how far or fast we went, our own insignificance in nature was accentuated in those vast landscapes, and with that came an indescribable feeling of humbleness, and upon surrender, liberation.

Inevitably a culture of sorts broke the spell, as we travelled past towns that announced themselves, not with the church spires of Europe, but the towering masts of billboards which hovered over centre-less towns, luring traffic to stop with invigorating promises of fuel, fast food, and 64-ounce coffees. During these pit stops the people encountered were almost disconcertingly friendly for your average Brit. Whether it was waitress, gas pump attendant or Joe truck driver, they exhibited the ability to instigate a jovial conversation over next to nothing, and in the most unlikely of situations.

About halfway through our trip, just as I began to lose my mind in a Utopian stupor, and our Greatest Hits compilation CDs started wearing a little thin, I began flicking through the radio and stumbled into Rush Limbaugh. I was literally hauled back into reality…or was it fantasy?

You may not have heard of Rush Limbaugh if you aren’t from the States. He’s an American conservative radio talk show host - the highest paid, in fact - winning the radio personality of the year 4 times. And he is quite frankly, in my opinion, an angry, hate-filled, bile-spewing bigot. Worryingly, compared to some of the other hosts we listened to on talk radio, Rush Limbaugh seemed like a moderate. And I was totally hooked!

After hearing of him via the late stand-up comedian Bill Hicks, I was compelled to listen in and gauge what all the fuss was about. Limbaugh’s shock jock infamy lived up to my
CowboyCowboyCowboy

Dodge City
wildest expectations, giving me the kind of morbid fascination which makes people slow down to view car wrecks or visit haunted houses. It was quite surreal that people seemed to be so friendly when you actually met them in the ‘real world’ out on the road, and yet as we rolled through this massive land, the radio preached hatred and fear. Not just for those Iraqis and Mexicans, but also for those damned Democrats! It was fear and division, divide and rule, at its very essence. The only thing that seemed to bridge the huge rift between the Republicrat parties and bring them back from the verge of civil war was the threat of imminent attack by those Qaeda!

Maybe because Man’s message of intolerance and hatred clashed so starkly with Mother Nature’s beauty and stimulation of wellbeing - or likely because I don’t live here - I felt so far removed, and was able to act out the role of Niebuhr’s cool observer. It all seemed absolutely ridiculous, and dare I say it, entertaining. Jennifer was not impressed, and began limiting my consumption, until ultimately a total ban ensued ;-)

“Rationality belongs to the cool observer. But because of the stupidity of the average man, he follows not reason, but faith. And this naive faith requires necessary illusion, and emotionally potent oversimplifications, which are provided by the myth-maker to keep the ordinary person on course. It’s not the case, as the naive might think, that indoctrination is inconsistent with democracy. Rather, it is the essence of democracy."


Reinhold Niebuhr

In a totalitarian state there is no consideration of debate and public opinion; you just go to war. In a democracy people have to be persuaded that war is the necessary and right thing to do; heralding a concerted effort to convince the people by hyping, exciting and frightening them, with all the pictures, actors, heroes and villains that go with it. Independent journalism should be at its height before a war and yet the opposite happens. At the hour of its greatest need in any debate, the corporate media merges into the political system creating a mediaocracy.

“Naturally the common people don’t want war. But after all, it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it’s always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and for exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country.”


Hermann Goering, at the Nuremberg Trials.

With potentially billions of dollars in taxpayers’ money to be spent, there can be no doubt that War is a very profitable product for a select few. And if you need a product sold there is no better marketer than the American media.

Freedom of speech and of the press is a double-edged sword which allows corporations to dominate the media and say virtually whatever they want. They have the power to shape, define and control public opinion often by excluding and marginalizing dissent. They are driven by the pursuit of profit like every
Old TownOld TownOld Town

Dodge City
other business, and therefore serve their own political and corporate interests, and those of their financial backers.

The belief that the media is informing the public is a falsehood. The belief that we should trust a mainstream media in its efforts to pacify and numb the public into acquiescing in the decisions made by them and other elites, is frankly frightening.

Our increasingly Faustian motivations trample almost everyone and everything underfoot, and it is the corporate media who goad us on with the fallacy that this is the path to salvation.

The slice of America I saw in those three weeks blew me away. By pointing the camera at nature’s aesthetic beauty, I felt I could reach out and become an evanescent part of it for 1/125th of a second. Stirring in me a primordial connection with the land with which we were once so intimately entwined and dependent upon for our very existence. This connection is increasingly an abstraction for those of us who now live in cities or civilizations, those wastelands of nature and anathemas of modernity that expel nature and devour resources in their blind headlong pursuit of economic growth, higher incomes, accumulation of capital, bigger apartments, GDP’s, PPP’s and infinitely higher standards of living.

But whose standards, by which definition of living, and at what cost?

__________________________________________________________________________________







Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 32


Advertisement

TaosTaos
Taos

New Mexico
Monument ValleyMonument Valley
Monument Valley

Navajo Nation
Adobe ChurchAdobe Church
Adobe Church

New Mexico


19th November 2007

Dodge City what a pity
Best blog ever, I love those National Parks! Y'all come to Oklahoma next time, our politicians are the craziest :3
19th November 2007

Fantastic...
So true, so well written and so beautifully illustrated.
20th November 2007

Welcome back!
So, you were in the US. Nice to read something yours again. As for your point of view on the media (strictly in philosophical terms) you might just apply the same principle infinitely and never know where the truth lies. i.g. one could claim that those who claim that those who are favourable to a war have been manipulated are actually those who have been manipulated. And so on infinetely. Best bet: pay attention to Jennifer and keep the damn political show turned off :-)
20th November 2007

Heartbreaking, but true.
Well said, aspiring nomad...great name, btw. America the paradox. Your photos capture the beauty, your words, the pain. When you have time, check out the Redwoods and the Oregon coast.... Happy adventuring!
20th November 2007

Don't believe the truth?
I agree with your philosophical stance Marco. "We Know the truth not only by reason, but also by the heart" Blaise Pascal, who also said "There are truths on this side of the Pyrenees, which are falsehoods on the other"...Still "Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coattails" Clarence Darrow.
20th November 2007

Disneyland and Sandstone
The belly of beast isnt so bad huh? Everything west of the Rockies allows us to conveniently forget about political bullshit and focus on whats most important- seeing the gemstones that the natural world has to offer! The Goering quote is haunting, if only George W. had the balls to eat a cyanide containing glass ampule we would all save ourselves the trouble of an impeachment!
20th November 2007

from Mika
Hello Jason, thanks for your response to my post, clarifying your position on Tibet. It was interesting to read your views on media in America. I would agree with you on many of the problems you've pointed out, but I'm wondering, do you have any solutions or better alternatives to try and prevent these problems? Is this as good as it gets? Mika in Finland.
27th November 2007

Eddie,
I am this old fart from Southern California who writes poorly. However, I am one who knows what good writing looks like, and your essay is the best I've read so far. I love reading and re-reading your essay and also have read it to my wife. Thanks Brit for sharing your experiences.
24th December 2007

some good reading
Hi Jason, Your blog reminded me of my summer trip to the States this August. I went to Burning Man but besides that serene interlude I also felt (again) the problems you discussed. I study Russian in Dublin and I just finished an essay comparing aspects of the totalitarian reality portrayed in the Russian classic Dystopian novel 'WE' to modern America. I recommend reading the German Psycologist Erich Fromm's 1942 novel "Fear of Freedom". It was a real eye opener for me and I can even claim to have gotten a bit high from reading it...if this is even possible. He goes beyond the norm also by offering solutions to society's problems. Essential reading for anyone interested in sociology in the context of modern issues of genuine personal freedom.
8th April 2008

From the Belly of the Beast.
All nations of the world have the media. Ours are just more free than most to say what they think. Its the "hooked" people that keep them in business. Personally, they don't speak for me and there is a lot like me here. Certainly, there are a lot of people in this world eager to judge people they really know nothing about. Do you have to have travel visa's to enter into yours or any other country. Its only right and our country is no different than any other in that respect. I love my country and I admit (like the world over) theres a lot wrong with it but theres also a whole lotta right. Great pictures, by-the-way.
26th July 2008

I 4 n I
I do realy appritiate yr natural photography. Inever seen such images.
18th October 2008

Refreshing
Hello Jason thank you for articulating what a 'traveler' sees and feels when coming to a land that nobody quite calls home (at least out loud). Although you might feel it at first, you are not so different from most the locals. They listen to Rush. They make fun of the other culture. They have a sense of humor if you know what joke to tell. It is all about knowing what joke to tell - and that isn't that hard when it comes down to it.
24th November 2010
Colorado

mantap
nice pic.......
28th February 2011
Zion National Park

cutE
iii likE diz pix iz hellA rEd mA fAvoRiitE koloR

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb