Living the Navajo way


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
September 24th 2007
Published: November 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

4 Corners4 Corners4 Corners

Yes thats right im in four places at once
So off we set again, we are truly experts now at packing up the van so we set off not just on time but early for the first time ever, because of this we were able to do a little detour and stop at the four corners. The four corners is basically just a metal circle in the ground but if you stand in the middle you are in not just two but four places at once, hence the name four corners. so stood in the middle i did, and laid down in the middle and ran round the circle a few times, what can i say i was a bit hyperactive, it was too much for my brain to handle, I was in Arizona, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico.
When finally we all got over all the excitement, we headed off to Monument Valley which is spread over 2 states, Utah and Arizona and is a tribal park which belongs to the Navajo tribe, the Navajo tribe is one of the biggest native indian tribes in America and is still growing, while only 14 families still live in the park, many still live in surrounding areas and follow the Navajo way just with a little more comfort such as running water, electricity etc. We did a jeep tour around the park with our Native guide Jamie, Jamie was bought up in the park and family are still there though he recently moved to just outside. He is passionate about the land and his passion just gets us more enthused. It is truly one of the most beautiful places i have ever been, The isolated red buttes and mesas surrounded only by empty, sandy desert. I could spend ages here just surrounded by your own thoughts, the jeep tour was great as it bought us to places that public cars were unable to go so as far as we could see or hear our group was the only people there as if we stumbled across this magical place. Jamie showed us around some of the major rock formations and carvings while he played native songs on his flute until it was time to go for our dinner. While Monument Valley is beautiful, it gets frezzing a night time, not cold the way i like but actually frezzing, we all had at least 2 jumpers on and our sleeping bags drapped around us as we were eating dinner and we were sitting around the fire and we were still freezing, the dinner warmed us up a bit and afterwards they did some traditional dancing for us while others played the flute and drums and got us to join in. while none of us really got the hang of it it did warm us up. They went on to tell us a little bit about the history and daily life of the Navajos before we all settled down to go to sleep in a traditional Hogan which thankfully was lovely and warm. While i have so far done many great things, today has been truly one of the highlights. I will come back to Monument Valley.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb