Life at St. George


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
June 20th 2007
Published: June 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ClubhouseClubhouseClubhouse

The clubhouse at the Western Horizons Park in Hurricane, Utah
Life at St. George or Hurricane

The Western Horizons park here is located close to Hurricane, Utah and is very comfortable. A nice club-house, with pool and a variety of other game tables, an outdoor pool, hot-tub and exercise room. It is also located about ¾ of a mile from Quail Creek State Park, which is really lovely. The lake isn’t very big but is well used, lots of fishing and water sports. I walked around there a couple of times in cool of the early morning. When I arrived on June 11th the temperature was about 90 degrees. The day I left it was getting up to 106! Not that I am complaining….I’d much rather be that side of 32 Fahrenheit. St. George itself is a nice little place, very clean with the big wide streets I’ve come to expect in this area.

Utah is named after the Ute Indian Tribe who have inhabited this area since at least 1650. The first white settlers here were Mormons. These members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS) faced religious persecution in the eastern United States and Europe. Led by Brigham Young they traveled in wagons
LakeLakeLake

At the state park
and on foot from Missouri to the Great Salt Lake where he proclaimed “This is the right place. Drive on.”. Mormons believed in polygamy (although they call it “pluralism”) and they practiced their belief until 1890 when plans got underway to join the Union; they became the 45th state in 1896. I was aware that some polygamy still existed here, but was not aware that the infamous Warren Jeffs is imprisoned here in St. George awaiting trial for his life-style, (I think he has one legal wife and five “others“.) Now known as Fundamental LDS the young women are a common sight here, long skirts, one long braid and usually several children tagging along.





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Early morningEarly morning
Early morning

I took this picture during my early morning walk


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 22; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb