Another "Dixie" in Southwestern Utah


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Jim and Joan in Zion Jim and Joan in Zion Jim and Joan in Zion

Bicycling here is very enjoyable. Cars are mostly banned, and buses transport everyone. We stopped to walk in special places.
St. George's weather is so much warmer than northern Utah around Salt Lake City, that they call it "Dixie". The Mormon's grew cotton here during the Civil War when they couldn't get cotton from the Southeast. Brigham Young had his winter home in St. George. Jim and I visited it and Jacob Hamblin's pioneer home. It was quite interesting to hear the history of the local Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saint's (LDS).

We attended a performance of the Southwest Utah Symphony. It was a pops concert with 3 tenors. We have enjoyed some very good concerts and plays everywhere we have gone, which gives us a good idea of what is available. Pittsburgh's still at the top.


I did decide to do "the hill" and I have done it many times. The hills here are mostly gradual, and so easier to bike than Western Pa. We have been biking and hiking in Zion National Park and Snow Canyon State Park, both with very striking scenery, etc.

It has been wonderful to bike in this area because the city of St. George, etc. has such wide streets and berms along the highways and streets.
Buses in ZionBuses in ZionBuses in Zion

In the valley below, dropping off visitors at the lodge.
It is also growing very rapidly, with housing developments, highways and supporting services springing up everywhere. All areas of the city are being connected with paved bike paths, showing thoughtful planning and great expense. Putting them in at the beginning will do a lot to make it a livable city.

On May 17th, the day after it opened we went to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. It was as beautiful as ever, and cool. The road was piled high with snow, but the rim was snow free.

We are now finishing up our trip. Now that the weather is now regularly 100, we are ready to come home! Jim can cycle in the heat better than me. But first we are going to Las Vegas to spend next Sat., Sun and Monday with Marra (Jim's daughter) and her family. We are going to see the "Cirque". We plan to meet friends, Maureen Kelly and Bob Tait on Monday.

We leave St. George on June 1st. We are stopping to do a raft trip down Westwater Canyon on the Colorado River on June 2nd and 3rd. On June 4th we start across Rt. 70. Our last
Riding in ZionRiding in ZionRiding in Zion

If you look carefully you can see Jim on the road to give you some idea of the size of the sandstone wall.
stop is Independence, Mo, where I want to visit Harry Truman's home and library. I am stuck in the middle of his biography, due to too much politics. But it is such an interesting biography, this should inspire me to finish it.

We will be home soon, possibly June 8th. I can hardly wait! (I will add a few more pictures
as I am able.)




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Snow CanyonSnow Canyon
Snow Canyon

A beautiful place with every kind of rock of every color, on the edge of St. George.
Snow Canyon AgainSnow Canyon Again
Snow Canyon Again

Petrified sandstone. An exhilerating bike ride from top to bottom!


Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb