Our First Family Vacation with Pumpkin Pie...


Advertisement
Published: May 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Zion National ParkZion National ParkZion National Park

The Grotto Picnic Area
Today we got up at 3:45 a.m. and headed to the airport, kids in tow, at 4:30 a.m. We had two flights and a five-hour drive ahead of us. First we flew to Denver, then on to Salt Lake City, where Aunt Pam met us with a mini-van rental. We got to Zion Lodge about 6 p.m. (It felt like 7 p.m. to those of us from Memphis.) We checked in, unloaded the stuffed-to-overflowing mini-van, and headed to the picnic area to cookout. David and I didn't know anything about cooking on a campfire, but Pam took care of us. Afterwards we headed back to our hotel room and read some Lemony Snicket aloud.
Both kids did well on the flights and during the drive. It was Pumpkin Pie's first flight outside of the womb. I surprised June Bug by letting her watch a DVD in the car. (Something I rarely do, but one movie for a 14 hour trip didn't seem excessive. Besides, doesn't everyone love listening to and singing along with High School Musical 2 in close quarters? If that doesn't bring a family together, I don't know what does.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Salt Lake City AirportSalt Lake City Airport
Salt Lake City Airport

Waiting for Aunt Pam
Rest StopRest Stop
Rest Stop

Somewhere in Beaver?
ZionZion
Zion

Pumpkin Pie at the campfire
The Grotto, Zion National ParkThe Grotto, Zion National Park
The Grotto, Zion National Park

It looks like I'm encouraging my daughter to walk into the fire, but really I'm just trying to get her to look at the camera.
Bedtime StoryBedtime Story
Bedtime Story

A Series of Unfortunate Events


21st May 2008

bird incident
you forgot to mention the part where i teased david on the way down to southern utah about having had birds poop on him three times. and then as soon as i got into the park, a bird pooped right on my head.

Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb