Day 4 - Wyoming to Utah (nice short drive today)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Orem
April 22nd 2013
Published: April 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to UtahWelcome to UtahWelcome to Utah

By the time we got to the first rest stop in Utah, the weather was beautiful.
This morning when we woke up, the wind was howling and it was very gloomy looking outside. By the next time we looked out the window, it was snowing fairly hard and the wind was still blowing like crazy making visibility low. We had breakfast and packed up more quickly than we originally intended to try and get on the road as quickly as possible. A quick Internet search showed that I-80 had been closed 3 days earlier due to snow, but that as we traveled west, this snow seemed to diminish.

The road conditions when we left the hotel were a bit icy and slushy. We decided we would take it slow and easy and deal with what came, when it came. We actually averaged close to 50 mph that first hour with conditions varying between heavy snow with basically one lane cleared, to barely wet roads, and everything in between. Luckily there wasn't a lot of traffic and most people were driving sensibly.

Eventually, it seemed like we went around a bend in the road just after Rawlins and the sun was shining with white fluffy clouds in the sky and dry roads. We stopped for lunch
Spring???Spring???Spring???

We only cleared about an inch of snow off of the car, but the blowing snow made everything look white.
at Little America since we were no longer worried about the roads getting worse while we stopped to eat. The service was super slow and they messed up a couple of orders while we were waiting, but the sandwiches were really good and the fries were OK.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Oops - I thought you were sleepingOops - I thought you were sleeping
Oops - I thought you were sleeping

I thought I would catch Melissa sleeping, but she woke up and gave me a dirty look.
Looking WestLooking West
Looking West

You can see the road heading off into the mountains as you look west from the rest area.


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb