Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Kanab
May 14th 2013
Published: May 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

10th May

Arrived at the Grand Canyon. Booked in and set up the tent and then drove over to the visitors centre to check it out. There isn't anything to add about it that hasn't already been said, only those who have seen it really understand - its awe inspiring and big! There are specific view points with numbers of people taking pictures, but its easy enough to get away from the crowds. We were surprised that within a country where you can't do any free thinking without being told, with signs for everything and everyone seemingly obeying them, that the edge of the canyon was accessible to anyone brave or stupid enough to get as close to as one wanted.

11th May

We had booked a day rafting down the mighty Colorado. Got up at 5.45 and was taken on a 3 hour coach trip and then a 4 hour trip along the river on a rib. It was extremely hot, but lovely. Stopped at the furthest point for a picnic lunch on the banks. Waded in the river, but its freezing. Its a feature. It starts off as melt water, goes into lake Powell and then out without ever having a chance to warm up. Got back to the camp ground around 6. By the time we had cooked ourselves supper and cleared, we were ready for bed, especially as we planned to get up to see the sunrise over the canyon the next day.

12th May

Another early start, 4.45 this time. Tried to sneak out of the campsite on the bikes, but neither like starting in the cold, and it does get cold at night.Mine started but would not pick up enough to pull away. I had no choice other than to let it run until it had warmed up...woops...a bit noisy. It was a freezing ride to the rim with the visor foggy up constantly, but well worth it, and then drove back to catch up on sleep! Caught up on washing clothes while we had the facilities and then went for a lovely walk around a part of the south rim, taking in the sun set. The lighting is superb, and to be able to just sit and watch in complete solitude is quite magical.

13th May

Packed up and left. Drove the Arizona roads, I just love them. Going from desert to mountain on long straight and/or twisty roads. Had to stop at one point as I was losing my load, it had all shifted to one side.The bike didn't feel any different, just noticed it in the mirror. Its weird that when drivers catch you up on these really long roads, they rarely seem to over take, but stay behind, even when there is overtaking lanes, it was a bit unnerving to begin with, I just ignore it now. But I don't understand why.

Arrived in Kanab and stopped in a motel, hence catching up with this blog. The town is back dropped with fantastic red rocks, as seen in a thousand westerns, apparently many a western movie was filmed here, including Stagecoach, The Lone Ranger, Butch Cassidy, Outlaw Josey Wales, the list goes on and on. Off to camp in Zion National Park tomorrow, so off the radar again for a while.....

Advertisement



14th May 2013

Great to hear your news! So glad you are having such a fantastic experience.... Congratulations on overcoming the probs.
17th May 2013

Lovely to hear from you. Yup everything is fantastic, though time seems to be whizzing. First overcast day since we've been on the road, but as it turns out we're having a day of catching up anyway. Hope you've been practicing French, there are many French speaking here, still can't understand them!

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb