Cedar Breaks Monument-Utah Hidden Gem


Advertisement
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

There is just so much to see in southern Utah. There are the famous national parks, then there are the state parks which could easily be national parks, and then there are the national monuments and other sites. One of those is the Cedar Breaks National Monument. Located north of Zion National Park, it's a little out of the way and I suspect often overlooked as a result with all the other things to see and do in this part of Utah.

Cedar Breaks is located in a volcano flow. You actually drive through it. You start out on a scenic drive where you keep going up and up until you eventually reach over 10,000 feet in elevation. As you're driving the trees become more prevalent and then you start to notice large chunks of black lava rock mixing with large meadows which are actually volcano cinder cones. A sign notes that the cinder cones are considered fairly "young" at 1,000-5,000 years and were the result of small, steady flows.

Then, Cedar Breaks appears. Opening up in a gigantic hole in the earth in bright, vivid colors next to the white and black lava rock with green evergreens all
Close UpClose UpClose Up

Looking toward the floor of the Monument
around, it is amazing. Cedar Breaks has a look similar to Bryce Canyon just on a different scale and with the volcano evidence located all around it. Very pretty with its bright colors of white, beige, yellow, red and pink next to the dark greens. It's over 2,000 feet to the floor so quite significant and three miles across. At Point Supreme which is located at the Visitor's Center you are at 10,350 feet. If you continue to the other lookouts, the North View has an elevation of 10,435 feet. The trees are changing colors. I noticed this at the Grand Canyon as well...when you get at 10,000 feet plus, the trees are definitely changing colors.

This national treasure is definitely worth a stop. It's a five mile drive to the main lookouts although there are short walking trails if you want to explore further. Located on a scenic byway, you also pass a beautiful lake (coming from south) before making the big elevation climb. I was so glad I took the extra time to go and visit. Apparently the roads to the Monument shut down in winter because of the snow. September was a great time to visit even though it was quite windy and a little cool.

I was also able to see several of the national parks on this trip that I'll also be blogging about. Such a gorgeous part of the world.

Next up...Bryce Canyon National Park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Point Supreme at Cedar BreaksPoint Supreme at Cedar Breaks
Point Supreme at Cedar Breaks

Lookout 10,350 above sea level. A bit cooler and windy as well!
White TreesWhite Trees
White Trees

Mix of tree colors on the edge.
Trees at the TopTrees at the Top
Trees at the Top

Noticed this at the Grand Canyon as well-once you get to 10,000 + feet, the trees are changing colors.
Cloudy DayCloudy Day
Cloudy Day

Lots of big fluffy white clouds which were frequently hiding the sun.


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb