Synchronicity in Utah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Capitol Reef
October 14th 2007
Published: October 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We are enjoying our morning coffee and scones (yes!) in a wonderful coffeehouse in Torrey, Utah. It is built of timbers with interesting rocks plastered into the wall, a wood stove in one corner, books all round, soothing music playing, the smell of coffee. Ahhh. It's called the Robber's Roost, because near here was the hideout of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. The synchronicity starts here. My father has been calling me the Sundance Kid for the last 20 years, I think because I grew a big mustache once (either that or because of my uncanny resemblance to Redford). That's one. There is a painting above the counter of Robert Redford and Paul Newman as Butch and Sundance. It's actually quite well done. Two. The name Robber's Roost is the title of a Zane Grey novel. You quick thinkers out there will realize that not long ago we stayed in, what?, that's right--the Zane Grey room in the Prospect Hotel. That's threee. Also, my beloved Uncle Melvin was a huge Zane Grey fan and read all his books (or a lot of them anyway). That's four. Cool. The only bad thing is that this coffeehouse, in a town of a few hundred, is nicer than any in Knoxville. How sad for us.

We stayed here one night 19 years ago at a place called the Rim Rock Inn. There were 30 cats running around and one of them got it's tail caught in the car door. Of course, the key was in the room so we had to run get the key while this cat wailed bloody murder. We were the only people there and the place had movie posters of slasher films on the wall. Creepy. The Rim Rock is still here though it looks a little better. We were not able to stay there as it was booked for a wedding. Maybe it was a Goth wedding. Oh, well.

It is another incredibly beautiful day, the sun flashing off the golden cottonwoods and aspens, snow up on the mountains. There was frost on the car today for the first time. I hope it is not still hot there as I don't think I can stand it. Come Autumn, come! All Halllows Eve approaches!
Moose

Advertisement



Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb