Canyonlands National Park


Advertisement
Published: October 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Canyonlands #3Canyonlands #3Canyonlands #3

Monument Basin
Canyonlands National Park is a larger version of Dead Horse Point State Park with greater elevations and less the horse corral.

According to the site americansouthwest.net:"Canyonlands National Park covers a vast area of rock wilderness in southeast Utah, centered around the confluence of the Green and Colorado rivers. Over millions of years, the rivers and their small tributaries have carved the flat sandstone rock layers into many amazing forms with a wide range of colors. The 530 square miles of the park contain countless canyons, arches, spires, buttes, mesas and a myriad of other spectacular rock formations."

The Park is fairly new having only been designated in 1964. Until that time, it was relatively unvisited and unknown. Today, there are a few overlooks on long paved roads, but otherwise it's a park best viewed by 4x4 or by hiking. The roads for 4x4s (which you can see in the photos) and are not for those scared of heights with sheer drop offs on the side. Its famous formation is the Island in the Sky which rises from the floor like an island. A red rock plateau that looks much smaller than it is. There are also several other formations such as the Salt Upheaval Dome which I made the extra bit strenuous hike, but thankfully short, to see. Geologists think it was formed either by a meteorite or due to the salt layers located in between the sandstone which slide along like water forcing the rock up suddenly. Pretty cool.

The clouds were really rolling in here so there's a haze in the air in the photos. Not very clear but still incredible geological formations.

Next stop...Natural Bridges National Monument.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Canyonlands #8Canyonlands #8
Canyonlands #8

This looked like the carving of a face.
Canyonlands #4Canyonlands #4
Canyonlands #4

Grand View Point
Canyonlands #7Canyonlands #7
Canyonlands #7

Monument Basin
Canyonlands #10Canyonlands #10
Canyonlands #10

Salt Dome - Thought to be created either by a meteorite or by gradual upheaval of salt layers.
Canyonlands #11Canyonlands #11
Canyonlands #11

Green River Overlook & Island in the Sky
Canyonlands #12Canyonlands #12
Canyonlands #12

Island in the Sky


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 87; dbt: 0.1008s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb