Day 21 - Have You Ever


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
August 8th 2013
Published: August 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Have you ever done something unique, something so unusual that as you did it you knew it was a once in a lifetime experience?

We got an early start to our morning in Zion, hopping on the shuttle at the Visitor Center to catch a ride to our trailhead under crystal clear skies. The buses were crowded, as plenty of other visitors were also intent on getting an early start to their day in the park.

We rode to the last stop, disembarked and ambled pleasantly along a paved Riverside walk, an easy, level trail that flowed alongside the river. The morning air was crisp, and our group was relatively quiet as we drew closer to our destination – the beginning of The Narrows.

This is quite possibly the only trail of its kind. The paved path ends at a small, rocky beach, where hikers then continue through the canyon on foot, in the water. The river literally becomes the hiking trail, as old and young wade through water varying in depth from ankles to waist, scramble up rapids and test their footing on the slippery rocks that form the riverbed most of the time.

Some of us were more trepidatious about this particular expedition than others – the cool temperatures, the rushing water, the slippery rocks, the wet socks. But as the cool water covered our feet, the unbridled smiles on the kids’ faces put everything in perspective.

We forged our way, along with dozens of other trekkers, through beautifully carved canyon walls that rose 1000 feet above our heads. We passed waterfalls and holes in the wall big enough for a Kodak moment. As the sun continued to rise overhead, eventually bathing the river in warmth, we followed the bends around large boulders and mapped a path to avoid the deepest pools.

If you ever have the opportunity to hike through a shallow river in a canyon in hiking boots, take it. It’s worth every soggy step.

After about an hour and a half, we came to a sharp turn in the river, as well as a crossroads. Farther up river was an area called Wall Street, where you can practically touch both walls at the same time (hence the name The Narrows). But walking through water is more tiresome than you might think, and those of us who struggle with balance more than others had just about had enough of the effort required to stay semi-dry. So, we split up, with Maggie, Billy and Todd continuing on, and Sean, Tommy and me heading back down river at a lovely, meandering, relaxed pace. The slower speed allowed both boys to tackle more of the water and rocks on their own without assistance, which was great to see (Todd and I had held their hands almost the entire way up the river). When we reached the exit and climbed up and out onto the paved path once more, our squishy steps were amusing and entertaining. The boys laid bets on how long it would take our shoes to dry – no one won!

We took the shuttle back to the Lodge to await our rendezvous with Todd, Maggie and Billy, and enjoyed ice cream and smoothies and dry land. After we all reunited, I could tell from the way all three moved that the decision for half of us not to continue in the river was the right one, as the three of them looked significantly more bedraggled and worn than when we had left them. Todd confirmed that the trek was fantastic but also challenging and draining in ways the first part had not been. But Billy & Maggie thoroughly enjoyed the more strenuous leg, and Todd recovered swiftly.

As we left Zion, we all agreed this was one place we definitely want to revisit. On our drive out, we looked earnestly for the elusive Big Horned Sheep, but I was the only one lucky enough to spy a glimpse of one far up in the mountains as I drove by, much to Billy’s chagrin.

The drive to Bryce Canyon was relatively short, giving everyone a respite for a bit. We made our usual stop at the Visitor Center, then headed to the campground just after 6:00, deciding to hold off seeing the canyon until tomorrow given the late hour. Ruby’s Inn has been hosting travelers to Bryce for about 100 years, and have hospitality and ambience down. We rode a “train” from our campsite to the hotel, had a bountiful dinner at the Cowboy Buffet (with hands-down the best dessert, ordered by Sean as his entrée – see our pic of his Buckin’ Bronco Buster), and perused the various shops before turning in for an early night. Tomorrow we plan to see the canyon, then it’s on the road again to Arches National Park.

I would be remiss (not to mention reprimanded by my son) if I didn’t at least mention our animal encounters of late. There were so many deer in Zion we lost count, literally. Sean, Tommy & I stood less than 10 feet from a buck who was nonchalantly munching on a bush along the Riverside Walk on our return trip. Billy saw a Gray Fox from the shuttle, and several new birds, some of which he insists were either Condors or Turkey Vultures. Thankfully, we have yet to see a wild snake, and I for one am hoping to complete the trip without checking that particular item off of Billy’s ever-growing list.

Only three more nights, with no definite plan for the last two yet. But we’re feeling good that we’ve done everything we wanted to do at least once, and we’re toying with the map and timeline to see just how much more we can fit into 72 hours. We shall see. Having fallen a day behind on this blog, I worry I am not remembering key details or stories to share with you, which I mentally note to myself as they occur, but which I am quite certain I completely forget by the time I get to the computer to actually write any of them. Try as I might, I am keenly aware that my descriptions and even our pictures are wholly inadequate for conveying the realities of what we see, feel and experience each day. However, I trust that you will be a forgiving audience, and that the glimpses and snatches of beauty we are able to share will suffice in some small way. And so we will continue, and have more for you tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb