Among the Hoodoos (Bryce Canyon N.P.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
June 22nd 2013
Published: June 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Exploring Bryce Canyon today!Pronghorn deer all over a meadow, no way to stop for a picture. Maybe later.

Aah, the Hoodoos! Went to Bristle Cone Loop, walked the loop and saw all the Bristle Cone trees, cool looking trees. Next to Rainbow Point, 9100’ COOL! Aqua Canyon next, pretty; then Natural Bridge, awesome. Finally Bryce Point, really beautiful and we saw our first Stellar’s Jay. See pic. Also saw Violet Green swallows flying in and out of the cliffs at Bryce Point.

Returned and had lunch at the Lodge, very, very nice! Our server was from Bath,Maine. All the Nat’l Park restaurants and some other jobs are kids (usually) from all over the world. We just happened to get a girl from the States. We were seated next to an open window and it got a little chilly! What a big difference from Tombstone!

Back to the campground and had to do some mundane laundry – but that must be done too.

Location: Utah – 250 miles South of Salt Lake City

Established: September 15, 1928

Size: 35,835 acres

Hoodoos and forest mixed together

Perhaps nowhere are the forces of natural erosion more tangible than at Bryce Canyon. Its wilderness of phantom-like rock spires, or hoodoos, attracts more than one million visitors a year. Many descend on trails that give hikers and horseback riders a close look at the fluted walls and sculptured pinnacles.

The park follows the edge of the Paunsaugunt Plateau. On the west are heavily forested tablelands more than 9,000 feet high; on the east are the intricately carved breaks that drop 2,000 feet to the Paria Valley. Many ephemeral streams have eaten into the plateau, forming horseshoe-shaped bowls. The largest and most striking is Bryce Amphitheater. Encompassing six square miles, it is the park's scenic heart.

For years water has carved, as it continues to, Bryce's rugged landscape. Water may split rock as it freezes and expands in cracks—a cyclic process that occurs some 200 times a year. In summer, runoff from cloudbursts etches into the softer limestones and sluices through the deep runnels. In about 50 years the present rim will be cut back another foot. But there is more here than spectacular erosion.

In the early morning you can stand for long moments on the rim, held by the amphitheater's mysterious blend of rock and color. Warm yellows and oranges radiate from the deeply pigmented walls as scatterings of light illuminate the pale spires.

There is a sense of place here that goes beyond rocks. Some local Paiute Indians explained it with a legend. Once there lived animal-like creatures that changed themselves into people. But they were bad, so Coyote turned them into rocks of various configurations. The spellbound creatures still huddle together here with faces painted just as they were before being turned to stone.
Did You Know?


Nineteenth-century Mormon settler Ebenezer Bryce, for whom the park is named, said it was "a hell of a place to lose a cow." The canyon's remarkable collection of whimsical hoodoo spires were believed by the early Paiute Indians to be people frozen in stone by the mischievous spirit Coyote. Early geologists feared the hoodoos would transform into human.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



23rd June 2013

Amazing Views!
It's gorgeous! The prettiest yet! So strange to see Marge in jeans and long sleeves!

Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0837s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb