Beautiful Bryce Canyon - with snow!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
April 18th 2009
Published: April 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We enjoyed a lazy morning before heading out for Bryce Canyon. It was a beautiful sunny day, warmer than yesterday, and we were all excited about seeing Bryce. We stopped at the visitor center in Red Rock Canyon, which is really your first hint of hoodoos, but in bright red. Then through two small tunnels cut through the red rocks and on to the entrance to Bryce Canyon National Park.

We had seen post cards and pictures of Bryce with snow, but to actually see it was overwhelming. The colors were so bright and the contrast of the snow, the green of the pines and the oranges of the rocks was terrific. We went to all the overlooks, and by the time we got to the end of the road at mile 18, elevation 9100 feet, the snow on the walkways was fairly deep, though melting in spots and wet and slushy. The southern part of the canyon has broad vistas, while the northern part has more hoodoos. We ended the day coming back to Fairyland Canyon, which is my favorite because you are so close to the hoodoos and it is an easier trail to walk among them.
Bryce Canyon NPBryce Canyon NPBryce Canyon NP

Bob, Gena, Charlie & Kerry

Another fabulous day in Utah's national parks. You've got to see Bryce Canyon.

By the way, the Travelblog server had some serious problems the other day and a lot of pictures were lost, including those I posted earlier this trip. I will try to reload them again in the next few days. Sorry about that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Bryce Canyon NPBryce Canyon NP
Bryce Canyon NP

Fairyland Canyon


19th April 2009

Spectacular pictures once again! By the way, Charlies' pictures didn't show up either.
19th April 2009

Gorgeous country we live in!!! It's raining here, but it's just what we need after JIM planted everything we'll need for the next five years! MISS YA!!!!
19th April 2009

Hoodoos??
What isa hoodoo - Lin said I could look it up on the internet, but since you are seeing in person - please enlighten us.. Can't wait to see you
22nd April 2009

Bryce canyon looks gorgeous, but when will we get the vegas pictures????

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb