Tooltime


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
August 10th 2005
Published: April 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I’m retroactively blogging a trip my brother and I took around to some of the National Parks in the US in August of 2005. I wanted to put some information out about these amazing places, as they are, in my opinion, the highlights of the US.

We made it to Bryce Canyon and, after being in the sweltering heat of Zion National Park; we appreciated the higher altitude and cooler temperature (at night at least) in Bryce Canyon. We spent the first day getting acquainted with the park, and just driving through the area. It is an extremely small park, but it is simply an amazing geological feature. The cliffs are a neon orange cream color with cylindrical spires, called hoodoos, jettisoning out from them. After settling on a campsite, we decided to do a quick hike to the bottom of the valley for a look back. As we reached the bottom some intimidating clouds came overhead, so we hurried back before the rain hit.

We ran by the main office to talk to some of the rangers, and decided to break our budget and go for a horse back ride along the bottom of the canyon, and see it proper Wild West style. It was well worth it. We had great views of the canyon, and absolutely loved the experience of seeing such amazing features while on horseback. To be honest though, Darren had a horse, I had a mule named Tool Time.

As I said, Bryce Canyon is an extremely small area, and covering the top by car the first day, and the bottom of the canyon on horseback on the second, we had seen quite a bit. We didn’t have the appropriate gear with us at the time, but I would like to go back someday and do the “Under the Rim” trail. It is quite a long trail that goes the entire length of the Canyon and would take a couple of days to accomplish. However, after supper we decided we were in need of a real bed and a shower, so we hit the road in the evening and headed out to southeastern Utah, to Moab.





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

A twisted tree in the stormA twisted tree in the storm
A twisted tree in the storm

There are tons of trees in crazy shapes like this one.
The bushes of BryceThe bushes of Bryce
The bushes of Bryce

I don't know what this kind of bush is called, but I absolutely loved it.
HoodoosHoodoos
Hoodoos

The hoodoos of Bryce Canyon with a storm in the distance
A better look at the hoodoosA better look at the hoodoos
A better look at the hoodoos

I had never seen bright orange dirt before...
More hoodoosMore hoodoos
More hoodoos

With a storm in the not so distant future.
Solo hoodooSolo hoodoo
Solo hoodoo

Looking up from on horseback below.
Not a bad hike...Not a bad hike...
Not a bad hike...

I've seen worse places to walk
Crazy landscape 2Crazy landscape 2
Crazy landscape 2

As I was posting I realized it was the same place, but a different picture with different colors. Still an alright picture thought...


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb