It is much more than Grand


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Beaver
April 30th 2014
Published: April 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Stayed at a 60 year old Howard Johnsons right on Route 66. You do not get much comfort for $55. Remember the train scene in My Cousin Vinnie? " Does this train always come through here at 3 in the morning? No sir it was late this morning, it normally comes through at 2"

At least 3 or 4 train visits that rumbled our room like a light quake between midnight and 5.

But I loved it!

Breakfast at a small cafe/ bakery, Brandy' s. An episode of Diners Driveins and Dives was filmed there. Nice breakfast, certainly we would recommend it!

Headed North out of Flagstaff on the 89 , for Tuba City. Kathie Zeilstra had told us it was a must see. We stopped at a Navaho trading center, their history and culture is so interesting. I will do some more reading on that when we get home.

Bought Kathie a bumper sticker, just our way of saying thanks.

The road into the Northern Rim of the Grand Canyon was closed, and it was fortunate that Kathy noticed. We doubled back to see the South Rim, its a National Park, about a 30 minute drive in. $25 pass to use the Park, but valid for up to 7 days. A visitor on his way out stopped us in the lineup and gave us his still valid ticket. We did the same on the way out.

Everybody was right , this is a must. We have seen the pics and video but it does not compare to actually being there. I cannot believe that at 60 years of age this is my first visit! We found out we are both anxious of high places, who knew?

Some crazies had gone around the fence and were hanging their feet over the precipice. I could not even look at them.

Travel hint # 1. Plan your Grand Canyon trip , there is soo much to offer , Kathy and I just blew in an out.

The rest of the day brought us spectacular views and vistas as we travelled North on the 89.

Crossed over to Cedar City on secondary hwy 14., reminded me of the Hope Princeton Hwy.

Lots of wildlife, including literally a herd of deer.

Dinner at a hamburger joint in Cedar City then back on
The CanyonThe CanyonThe Canyon

I think I'll drop the Grand, there is only one canyon now
the Interstate 15. Speed limits in Utah= 80


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Kate hanging onKate hanging on
Kate hanging on

Hey , she got this close
Love this signLove this sign
Love this sign

Artistic 4.9 Technical 4.6
Darn iphone cameraDarn iphone camera
Darn iphone camera

Do you see the deer. Not bad though for what is actually a phone.
Sunset on the downsideSunset on the downside
Sunset on the downside

Coming off the pass at sunset


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0905s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb