History of Diné Bahaneʼ


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Alta
October 29th 2013
Published: October 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today, I will be teaching you about the religion of the Navajo tribe. The Navajo tribe was a polytheistic society with many of the gods being based off of animals.The cosmology of their society was told through the story of Diné Bahaneʼ (Story of the people). It begins with the holy wind, which created light and the holy people, which were the spiritual aspect of the story as the world had not yet been formed. The Navajo had many supernatural beings that helped them get adjusted to the world that they lived in. There were four worlds that they lived through, the fourth being where the sun and moon were created for the humans to live. In the Navajo religion, there was a great importance placed on family and celebrations, it was very rich in ceremonial practices. The Navajo had a very wide moral compass as to them, everything in the world was sacred to them. With the gods providing them a world to live in, they considered everything in the world was sacred and made sure to use everything that they took for something.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb