Stinky Beach


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
February 23rd 2017
Published: February 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

So we're settled in at Goose Island State Park, and except for very poor cell service, we like everything about the place. Best of all perhaps, that there was no sign of any actual geese.
The whole park is covered with beautiful live oak trees, including what is supposedly the largest and oldest example in Texas. It is over 35' in circumference, and is estimated to be in excess of 1000 years old. I'm a tree guy, so I'm looking forward to seeing it. Those very same gnarly trees made it tricky to back into our spot though. With Cathy's guidance, we threaded it in without damage.
After we had set up, we unloaded the bikes and cruised around to check things out. The water on the bay side was a milky green, like Florida Bay in the Keys. And like the Keys, the bottom is muddy, with lots of oyster bars. As we peddled along the shore, we stopped at a pretty spot, and Cathy waded in the see how warm it was. It was then that I spotted the sign for "Stinky Beach".
As it was explained, the shallow, warm waters here are high in "natural organics" which is what accounts for the delightfully honest name. A name such as that would never be the product of a real estate developer.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb