Getting Ready to leave Abilene


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
August 25th 2008
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hey Everyone!
I hope everything is going well wherever you are and whatever you are up to. Some of you may be far away totally unaware of what's going on in Texas. Others are in Abilene and will know everything that I know about what's going on in Abilene and more. But I figured it was about time to update the blog even though I haven't gotten to Oxford yet.
It has been a really full and busy Welcome Week at ACU. I've had an incredible time getting to know the people in my group and a few other new freshmen. We had the Candlelight Devotional on Wednesday night (we have a devotional where the freshmen are led through the upperclassmen who are holding lit candles and the freshmen light their own candles at the amphitheatre and worship God together) and the mentor group olympics on friday evening. The mentor group olympics included a relay this year (which was only ok) but also a flag competition (which was rather interesting) and a photo scavenger hunt (which was exhausting, but fun). Finally on Saturday night we had a talent show and I am still amazed at the talent in this freshmen class. We probably have a dozen #1 singers and at least 3 top level comedians. I felt like the hosts had been hosting stand up comedy gigs for years. It was good.
Also on Sunday I went to Southern Hills Church of Christ with Mark Daughdrill and was excellently surprised at the service. They are trying a new style of service at the second service. The core message is the same as at the 1st service, but presenting it in different styles and mediums. The focus was completely on community with one another and we did communion and the offering differently because of that. One thing that would have possibly been better about it is maybe more a focus on "seeking God in community". Maybe it was just because we were starting school and there were a bunch of new faces to see, but I felt the focus on community was slightly empty of focus on that community towards and with God. Anyway, i'll see better when I get back.
I'm getting really excited about Oxford. We had a day of orientation today and we'll have one more tomorrow before we leave on Wednesday. It should be good. Hope all is well with everyone and i'll talk to you again soon.

Sincerely yours,
Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb