Houston


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
June 14th 2019
Published: June 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Andy Warhol’s The Last SupperAndy Warhol’s The Last SupperAndy Warhol’s The Last Supper

Camouflaged. Note there are two images side by side. Ian’s interpretation is on consumerism - if one is special then two must better. You were allowed to take photos in the foyer.
After an excellent flight on AirNZ 28 straight to Houston we were assailed by very, very warm temperatures, such that you duck from air conditioned building to car to building again, spending as little time as possible actually outside.

The reason for staying a couple of nights here was to visit the private Menil Art Collection. Unfortunately a couple of things we went to see such as the Rothko Chapel, the Dan Flavin building and the Contemporary Gallery were closed. However the building complex alone, including the Cy Twombly Gallery, was well worth it.

Set in an outlying suburb covering a number of blocks, the manicured and we’ll watered lawns contrasted with the stark white low modernist buildings. Covered walkways surround immaculate gardens. The inward sloping roofs ensure that rain is directed onto the gardens.

A comprehensive exhibition of surrealist art was fascinating with a number of famous works that we have only seen in books. It also showed the influence of African and Polynesian art on the Surrealists. Another gallery had a comprehensive collection of modern works by Mondrian, Leger, Picasso and contemporaries.

Unfortunately photos weren’t allowed so I only have a few of outside sculptures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Andy Warhol again Andy Warhol again
Andy Warhol again

Not one, but two Mona Lisas.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb