We made it to Texas!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
April 15th 2016
Published: April 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lake Charles, LA to San Antonio Texas


The drive from Lake Charles to Louisiana was mostly uneventful, until we got closer to Houston, GPS told us to take I-59 from I-10. The map shows I-10 goes all the way through Houston to San Antonio, yes thats right I also had Rand McNally open in my lap along with the GPS on my phone, (I like to make sure); but it knows exactly the fastest route via satellite so why would I presume my navigation skills are better than this high tech contraption.

Slight panic set in as we started heading on I-59 into downtown Houston, as we came to the traffic lights we openly questioned her as if she would answer back "where are you ....... taking us???" by which time she had us turn around under the underpass, and head back to I-10. Luckily we didn't have to wait at the other traffic light, as we passed strewn bodies on the ground and would be carjackers, their hungry eyes staring us down as we passed. For a split second it appeared we had entered the cartel lands of Nuevo Laredo, the only thing missing were the hanging bodies from the bridge.



I had all four limbs in the air in various positions as we made our way through the traffic in Houston and then gently back in the seated position for the final miles as we reached San Antonio and the campground on the other side of town. We were kindly greeted and escorted to our concrete pad for what we thought would be another one night stop!



San Antonio other than being famous for the Alamo is a fun and exciting town to be in. We went down to the river walk which was such a pretty and relaxing place to be after a few days on the road. A little like Venice only smaller and every possible restaurant type you could imagine, French, English, Irish and a LOT of mexican, ranging from Sandwiches to full fledged gourmet organic high class cuisine. Throw in a few bars, nightclubs and some shops and you have yourself a fun experience. We ate at a lovely mexican place with table side guacamole.

After dinner we headed back in the dark via the Alamo, which is in the middle of town, not exactly as portrayed in most Westerns but interesting none the less. It was a beautiful evening, even with the hour it took us to remember where we had parked and a couple of miles on the feet with both phone maps in hand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb