Leg 2: Blue Bayou


Advertisement
Published: April 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Rivers Edge Campground, Holt, Fl to Westlake Whispering Meadows Rv Park, Lake Charles, LA


Trip Data: Holt, Florida – Lake Charles, LA – 417 miles





The morning started off with a sinus headache from the sand covered swamp. Torrential rain all morning did not help the packing up procedure that in perfect dry conditions is no quick task. Visualize Mary Poppins in her raincoat when the canon goes off and everyone man’s their positions, floors clear, aerials down, gas off, things strapped down and doors latched before the walls slide in and we hold our breath until they are in. Add some wet sand on everything including the dogs and there you have it.



Solid downpour from Florida through Alabama, Mississippi and half of Louisiana standing at every truckstop trying to get Moppy to poop, as she is very particular and doesn’t like to get her feet wet made for a fun first half of the journey. As a reward and because they are so sweet they get treats, which apparently had decided to jump out of the refrigerator, (someone broke the latch – Roy) and have made their way into every corner of the Rv. If this rig makes it in one piece to another owner some time from now, yes those were once baby carrots; you’re welcome 😊



When you need to stop for Diesel one has to pre plan ever so slightly, the reason for this is that when you measure almost 50 feet in length at a height of 13 feet and are only allowed into gas stations designed for cars, making swift and nimble turns is not within the realm of possibility. It’s a bit like playing that wire loop game where touching the electricity shocks you so you have to start again. When you turn into somewhere make sure you can maneuver your way out!



A couple of near misses followed, somewhere in between the miles of concrete wave riding, (where they seem the road together every foot, only its not as fun and now I need a chiropractor), flying metal, some crazy man merging into us and the carefully bungeed chairs that I just happen to catch hanging off the side of the Rv. We lost the mount for them, (sorry to whomever got that piece of metal lodged under your car) but miraculously both chairs were somehow still hanging on wedged in between the rear bumper and the mounted bikes as we exited as quickly as possible to rescue them.



Finally arrived basically in one piece to a small piece of concrete heaven (No wet sand): Whispering Meadow RV Park, Lake Charles.

I’m taking odds on whether we make it to Texas!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb