Breakfast Tacos and Chicken Fried Steak!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
March 14th 2006
Published: March 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

DR01DR01DR01

BREAKFAST TACOS!
Drew has been doing his best to show me places that are really San Antonio, the non touristy places. And quite frankly he's been doing an excellent job. I came to San Antonio to watch the Spurs, but they have taken a back seat, Id rather be soaking up as much of San Antonio as possible. AND THE FOOD!

I actually had a few things I really wanted to do in San Antonio, such as eating breakfast tacos, trying ice tea, eating a big steak. I'm pleased to say I have accomplished most of them thanks to Drew.

Today was a huge food day....

The night before we decided we would do breakfast tacos in the morning but Sarah had to start work early. So the answer was to wake up at 6:30am!

I managed to be awake at 6:30 when Drew came past and we went for a long drive to a Mexcian place that apparently still had up a poster I had done for the Spurs (NBA Basketball team) in 2003. Unfortunately that place was closed on Tuesdays. We ended up going to the place across the road.

I had four Tacos. One was
DR12DR12DR12

Spurs Lane.
scrambled eggs with Chorizo (Spicy mexican sausage), one was a normal shredded beef taco, one was a type of mince meat and the last was a Menudo taco which is cows intestines. YUMMY! I also had three cups of coffee!

Authentic Mexican tacos are made with SOFT corn tortillas, NOT those stiff shells we call tacos, they have no idea what they are in Mexico. I am definately going to have to try and cook up some real tacos when I get back home! The Mexican food alone has made the trip to San Antonio worthwhile!

After the tacos and dropping Sarah off at work we drove past the Spurs practise facility on "Spurs Lane".

We drove around a bit more Drew, Maddison and Joe spent some time at the mall while I had a little sleep in the car, I was preparing myself for what was to come next...

The GIANT plate of Chicken Fried Steak.

We went to a place called Tip Top near the King William district. which has been around for 70+ years and it looked it. Infact some of the patrons and the wait staff looked like they had been
DR02DR02DR02

Tip Top
around since the beggining. This place was authentic, it was great! The place was packed with what looked like regulars... Including a San Antonio Police Sheriff.

Chicken Fried Steak is a way of cooking steak associated with soul food and Southern U.S. cuisine, particularly Texas. It is a piece of beef steak, coated and fried as if it were a piece of fried chicken. It was served with cream gravy some freedom (NOT FRENCH) fries and a little salad.

It actually reminded me of Schnitzel (remember when mum used to cook that?) and given that many Germans settled in San Antonio its highly likely it came from them.

I managed to stuff it all in as well as some corn bread. I have never been so full in my life!

After the eating we stopped at a Glass blowing studio. The woman was making a piece right there in front of us. We watched for a while then went for a drive through the southside of San Antonio this is the poorer side of town but a place that has far more character than the built up residential areas that resemble Howick.

We made a
DR03DR03DR03

Tip Top, opened 1930.
final stop at a ice cream place and had a smoothie.

I had a whole lot of fun hanging out with Drew, Maddy and Joe. I hope Drew does take me up on that offer to come to New Zealand so I can pay him back.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

DR04DR04
DR04

Tip Top. The blue shirt you can see in the left is a SAPD sheriff.
DR05DR05
DR05

A whole lotta, CHICKEN FRIED STEAK!
DR06DR06
DR06

Glass Studio.
DR07DR07
DR07

Glass Studio.
DR08DR08
DR08

Glass Studio.
DR09DR09
DR09

Glass Studio.
DR10DR10
DR10

Glass Studio.
DR11DR11
DR11

Glass Studio.
DR13DR13
DR13

Alamo street sign. Southside, San Antonio.
DR14DR14
DR14

Meat Market. If you look carefully you can see the Barbacoa on SAT SUN sign. Barbacoa is a dish traditional to Mexico, that has been adopted in South Texas, made from meat byproducts from a cow's head and other parts. Traditionally, it was prepared by digging a hole in the ground, placing the head in the hole and slow-cooking it with hot coals. The meat separates from the bones and is served on corn or flour tortillas. Sounds good to me!
DR15DR15
DR15

Church, Southside.
DR16DR16
DR16

Road works, Southside.
DR19DR19
DR19

Southside
DR20DR20
DR20

Southside
DR17DR17
DR17

Cafe, Southside.
DR18DR18
DR18

Ice Cream Shop.


17th March 2006

Good chicken Fried Steak
Great chicken fried steak can be had at Lu Lu's Jailhouse cafe. They have a great one that comes with queso instead of gravy, and the steak is litterally as big as your head. Great cinnamon rolls too. Make sure to stop by there before you leave San Antonio
17th March 2006

Chicken Fried Steak
We went to the Jailhouse cafe but it was all empty and closed.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb