What I like about Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
November 3rd 2001
Published: May 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

What I like about Texas
By Gary P. Nunn


You ask me what I like about Texas
I tell you it's the wide open spaces!
It's everything between the Sabine and the Rio Grande.
It's the Llano Estacado,
It's the Brazos and the Colorado;
It’s the Spirit of the people who share this land!

It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand
It's a quarter for the jukebox, boys,
Play the songs of your favorite Austin Texas band!

Well, you ask me what I like about Texas
It's the big timber roundneck Nacadoches
Driving El Camino Real into San Antone
It's the Riverwalk and Mi Tierra
Jamming at the Bungo Joe
The stories of the Menger Hotel and the Alamo!
(You remember the Alamo!)

It's another burrito; it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!
It's a quarter for the jukebox, boys,
Play the songs of your favorite Austin Texas band!

It's another burrito; it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!
It's a quarter for the jukebox, boys,
Play some songs by your favorite Austin Texas band!

Well, you ask me what I like about Texas
It's Blue Bonnet and Indian paint brushes
Swimming in the sacred waters of Barton Springs
It's body surfing at Freo
It's Saturday night in Del Rio!
It’s crossing over the border for some cultural exchange!

It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!
It's a quarter for the jukebox, boys,
Play the songs of your favorite Austin Texas band!

It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!
It's a quarter for the jukebox, boys,
Play the songs of your favorite Austin Texas band!

Yee-Hoo! That's what I like about Texas! Yehaw!




Ft. Worth

Ft. Worth is a big Texas culture city, where cowboys are easily spotted everywhere in the city especially at the heart of Ft. Worth Stockyards. Rodeo shows are the heart of the action, where stocks and cowboys are getting together to perform an interesting taste of Texas. While the studio was around and about sketching and exploring the Stockyards, a man approached Erin and I and offered us two rodeo championship tickets, which we accepted happily. So there I was with Erin, enjoying my culture shock, watching my first rodeo show ever.

Burnett Park was designed by famous landscape architect Peter Walker, and it was one of our big destinations for the Savanna Studio. We spend a couple of hours exploring the park, which unfortunately didn’t have the water feature turn on for the event. Ashley and Heidi gave us an opportunity to investigate Walker’s design, while having some construction detail sketching at the Park.


Dallas

We had an opportunity to visit Dallas as an excursion from Ft. Worth, so several of us went there and spent a Sunday in the
Stock Yard, Ft. WorthStock Yard, Ft. WorthStock Yard, Ft. Worth

Next to the arena where I saw my first rodeo show.
city. The highlights of the trip are Pioneer Plaza and the Fountain Plaza, two have-to-see plazas for landscape architecture students.

Pioneer Plaza is inviting us to experience the Longhorns culture through the bronze statues of Longhorns. A herd of Longhorns are ‘running’ down a hill and across a small creek at the plaza, chased by several cowboys on their horses. I was busy cataloging the Texas’ most prominent ranch logos, which was shown at the special brick paving around the Plaza.

Fountain Plaza was designed by famous landscape architects Peter Walker and Dan Kiley at the base of a glass structure. Talking about an urban design, man. It has abundant amount of flowing water, which cascades in series of small water fountains throughout the Plaza. We spent a good hour exploring and investigating many of neat details here, imagining on how office workers would utilize the space, having lunch while listening to gently gurgling water sound.

We managed to climb up the Reunion Tower, a Dallas landmark, before heading back to Ft. Worth at the end of the day. We even made a special stop for a Hard Rock Café fan - me!


Enchanted Rock

After spending a couple of days in Texas’ urban area, it is nice to be back in the wilderness. We are camping out again in the Enchanted Rocks state park. Emally, Jason and I spent a couple hours of hiking the rock in the morning, and as a class we climbed up the rock and watching the sun goes down in the heart of State of Texas. I’ve never seen so many cactus in my life before, but again we’re in the middle of Texan desert.


San Antonio - Remember the Alamo?

It is weird to feel a good vibrant of San Antonio. I can’t help it but thinking of Disneyland when I was walking along the River Walk. It used to be an undesired landscape strip along Rio Grande before they had a good idea of bringing in business and developing the area into one of San Antonio’s night life scenes. Restaurants and business flourish as expected, giving the River Walk a new meaning of life. We also visited and sat at the stage seating where they filmed in “Miss Congeniality” with Sandra Bullock. San Antonio is Jason and Carrie’s first time at the Hard Rock Café, as we were eating happily while having their HRC cherries being picked.

Next to the River Walk is the Alamo (proper name: Missión San Antonio de Valero), landmark of the city. It is one of the five ‘Spanish Mission’ churches system in old San Antonio, of which three we visited (Alamo, San Juan and San Espada). Alamo serves as a museum now, as it has a significance in Republic of Texas battle. Remember the Alamo? Although the Spanish mission is long gone, the Alamo still has the back courtyard with water channel, small herbs garden and fortification system that gave the meaning to the sustainable living for the early Spanish pioneers and the native Indians.

For all savanna studio participants: “My name is Maria de Luz, and I was born here. These are my people …”




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

San Antonio River WalkSan Antonio River Walk
San Antonio River Walk

Colorful umbrellas of the River Walk.
San Antonio AlamoSan Antonio Alamo
San Antonio Alamo

You remember the Alamo!
San Antonio Spanish MissionSan Antonio Spanish Mission
San Antonio Spanish Mission

Mission San José y San Miguel de Aguayo


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb