Biking/Camping trip Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Angelo
April 14th 2008
Published: January 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Biking/Camping trip to Texas 2009



This is a trip that we first took in 1990 and have returned untold times including 3 times during the last 6 years. Almost every time, our objective is Seminole Canyon State Historical Park west of San Antonio and up against the Rio Grande. From the first time that we saw it, it became one of our favourite spots in the world (well the parts of the world that we know anyway.) We have criss crossed Texas and camped in all of its regions many times. This may be our last trip to Texas so it is not likely that we will “explore” many new locations this time. We are returning to “tried and true” campsites and spending more time.

We left on Saturday April 18 2009 to spend our first night with our friend Sigrun in Simcoe Ontario as we usually do.
Sunday April 19 was to be a long drive just getting through Michigan, Ohio and into Kentucky. Stopped in Florence KY (outside of Cincinnati) in a terrible rain storm after driving almost 700 km. Thanks to our GPS we found our hotel after missing an exit

Joe's Best: arriving there

after 700 km and bad driving through Cincinnati
Carol's Best: Good dinner at Red Lobster

Monday, April 20 Florence KY to Franklin TN (around 400 km)
Decided to go on past Nashville today rather than stopping at usual place of Franklin Ky. Pinkish purple and white blossoms on trees along the route were so pretty against the background of freshly blooming spring trees; grass was so green in the median along the Kentucky highways. Crossed time zone into Central—gained 1 hour. Arrived at destination at 3:30 Central Time.
Dinner at nearby Cracker Barrel; Joe liked his catfish, beans, okra and was not so fond of the cornbread muffins and sweet tea. I’ve had better hot beef sandwiches. Talked to daughter Lisa via video on computer.

Joe's Best: Dinner at Cracker Barrel—tried new foods; liked the catfish and okra
Carol's Best: Sitting in sun reading paper and sipping Vermouth; also beautiful blue sky with puffy clouds



NOTE: For our trip through Mississippi see the Natchez Trace BLOG



Sunday, April 26 Trace State Park, MS to Crocket Harbour RV Park



Sunny and cool morning; boats out fishing at 6:30 a.m.
Listened to Mississippi NPR. Felt like
seminole canyon sp seminole canyon sp seminole canyon sp

Trail to Rio Grande
being home, hearing CBC news. Haven’t watched TV at all since we’ve been camping. Don’t really miss it.
Left at around 8 a.m. I felt well rested, although Joe has been up a lot at night. He says that’s natural for him.
Was a hot (80s), windy day travelling, although the wind generally seemed behind us. Started off on the Natchez Trace Parkway. So relaxing and green. Looks like a summertime day here, with leaves in full bloom.
Highway was pretty good in MS. Ran through beautiful corn growing country. Believe we’re in the MS Delta region. Surprised to see farmers ploughing on a Sunday.
Went for a walk through campground, met the ranger lady, chatted with her, and only paid 10.00 for the night (seniors’ discount). Senior= age 62. Okay! She noted that the park had been designed by the Army Corps of Engineers to be managed by the Town of Crossett. That’s why the sites are so level, paved, with lots of trees between sites! Nice park for an overnight.
.

Joe’s Best: Driving along the Trace Parkway, and getting campsite for $10.
Carol’s Best: Sitting along riverside, reading, in the sun under the trees, eating Doritos and

TexasTexasTexas

Bluebonnets
drinking wine. Doesn’t get much more relaxing.

Monday, April 27 Crossett Harbour RV Park in Arkansas to Lake Bob Sandlin SP near Pittsburgh Texas.

Hot sticky morning with threats of severe thunderstorms today so we were up at 6:15am. As we entered Texas at Texarkana we discovered that our destination was receiving heavy rainfall—Lake Mineral Wells SP. We had intended to bike a really neat 20 mile trail there, but it’s closed due to weather for the next few days. At Texas Welcome Centre, found out that a tornado had passed through earlier and that weather looked stormy in the direction we were headed past Dallas.
Changed plans and headed for Lake Bob Sandlin SP near Pittsburgh. We had been here before. Started hearing about swine flu scare in Mexico and in Texas. Will be cautious about hand-washing and general health.

Joe’s Best: Getting to Texas finally.
Carol’s Best: The temperature dropping a little bit after the rain.

Tuesday, April 28 Lake Bob Sandlin SP, TX to Austin, TX



Sunny, very warm in a.m. High today is supposed to be 86 degrees and rain. Headed along hwy 271, beautiful 2 - lane highway, with farms all along.
Met a man in Gilmer gas bar who had been to Lady Evelyn Lake near Cobalt (Joe had been there with Gary Kaye after graduation)
At 11:00 it started to rain as we travelled on I55 to 79W. ; heavy rain around 12 noon on 79W. We had the same weather 2 years ago going in the opposite direction.
At Franklin Texas (1400 pop.) Joe discovered a Carnegie Library and toured it with the librarian and chairman of the board. He was interested in comparing notes with our Carnegie Library since he is on the Board. It is one of only 4 in all of Texas. It has a basement (insisted on by Carnegie) but they have had many problems with it. Headed into Austin for a hotel night break from camping and associated stresses. Once again we would NEVER have found the motel without our GPS. Very hot and humid but the hotel had an outdoor pool.
Went to dinner next door at Baby A’s Mexican restaurant; great beef fajita (Joe), margarita and beef enchiladas (Carol).

Joe’s Best: Carnegie Library
Carol’s Best: Mexican dinner,

Wednesday, April 29 Austin to Brackettville, TX



Humid, overcast, wind from SE is strong. Heavy traffic on hwy I35 as we left city.
Swine flu is big topic in news governor, schools, sports are all being affected! Stopped at Hondo (have stopped here many times before) for lunch and groceries at Uvalde (another favourite stop)
Arrived at Fort Clark Springs mid p.m. Greeted by friendly manager, Shirley, who was here last time we were here
Prepared chicken in mushroom soup, boiled potatoes, carrots, salad
Joe went for a bike ride and swim in giant spring fed pool on site.
Found out from manager that a tornado/hail warning was in effect for this area until 10 p.m. We put the whole trailer down, left the electricity on No one was at rec hall (safe spot), so we returned to RV Park, where Shirley invited us to join her in the clubhouse and to put our truck under a roofed in area for protection
Returned to trailer at about 11:30, set it up again, because tornado had passed south of us. Who knew? The weather maps showed a direct path to Brackettville. We sure were lucky that we had no storm or damage. What made it easier to handle was being with
TexasTexasTexas

Pecos River Bridge
people and chatting, and forgetting about the impending storm.

Joe’s Best: Getting to Fort Clark and swimming in the freshwater pool.
Carol’s Best: Being safe again after the tornado warning; meeting nice people

Thursday, April 30 Fort Clark Springs


Joe decided to see about the AC in the truck.
Joe arrived with good news. Freon replacement cost only 77.00, but this repair may last 1 day or 10 years. Otherwise, we will need a costly repair. He also brought 14 novels from Brackettville Library. Quite a haul this year. And all for free!
Had lunch, then biked around Ft. Clark, and went for a swim in the spring fed pool. It was refreshing. Played a little Frisbee. Sun came out and it was very hot. Did a little tanning by the pool’s edge.

Joe’s Best: Truck repair so cheap, and the load of novels (he gets them every time we are here) for free!
Carol’s Best: Having time to myself this morning and the relaxing time by the pool.



Friday, May 1 Fort Clark Springs to Seminole Canyon SP


Left at 8:15 under around 70’ cloudy day.
On 90 west of Del Rio went through a border patrol inspection station complete with sniffing dog; patrolman liked our trailer. What’s new?
Arrived at Seminole around noon. Pleasantly surprised to find that they have installed Wi-Fi. Who would have guessed … about 70 km from Del Rio in middle of desert!
Went for a 3 hour hike along the Pressa Trail to the Seminole Canyon. Was hot—in the early 90s and very sunny. Just like it used to be.

Joe’s Best: Arriving at Seminole, the hike to the canyon and WIFI
Carol’s Best: I agree. I’m also very thankful for our trailer’s AC. I couldn’t survive the heat without it.

Saturday, May 2 Seminole Canyon SP Day 2

Did not sleep much last night because of the winds buffeting the trailer
At 10:30 we left for a bike ride to the Pecos River. Took pictures and marvelled at the beauty of this desert area as we have so many times before.
You can see Mexico and the Rio Grande from here.
Note: saw a Border Patrol truck going back and forth on the road to the boat docking area. Seemed to be looking for something. Of course, I knew what it was. I saw
TexasTexasTexas

Prickly pear in April
a pick-up truck with stuff in the back covered with what looked like a sleeping bag. He pulled in first to the picnic area, but turned right around and flew past us on our bikes on the boat dock road. He pulled into one driveway, then backed out, and then went into what looks like an abandoned RV park driveway. Then we saw no more of him. Suspicious you say? Maybe, as Joe says, I’m reading too many mystery books!

Joe’s Best: Bike ride to Pecos River.
Carol’s Best: Ditto.

Sunday, May 3 Seminole Canyon SP Day 3

At around 10 a.m. went on a bike excursion along the Pressa Trail and the Rio Grande Trail. Walked the last section of Rio Grande. As beautiful as always. Saw 2 boatloads of tourists across the river visiting the cave paintings. Then followed the trail to the end where we came out at another canyon. We explored it, took pictures. Was hard to leave, but it was getting very hot out. 97’F or 36’C. Usually we spend 3 days here. We have decided that we want to suffer more heat and stay a 4th day.
Joe plans to bike to Langtry in the morning (about 30 km west)

Joe’s Best: He loves the scorching heat!
Carol’s Best: Bike ride to Rio Grande and area, especially when it was cooler.


Monday, May 4 Seminole Canyon SP Day 4

Joe got up at 6:30 but it was still dark and he did not get off until 7:15.
At that time of day there was about 1 vehicle every 10 minutes on highway 90 going west. Joe made excellent time and made it to Langtry in exactly 1 hour and 45 minutes which is his usual rate of 20 km/h. It had been 1990 since he had last been to Langtry and Judge Roy Bean’s “Law West of the Pecos”
The hamlet has a population of 14 plus it appears like 20 or more abandoned buildings, a Texas welcome centre and a fantastic cactus garden.
The ride back was a bit more difficult since a strong wind had come up. About 2/3 of the way back Joe realized that he had had a slow leak in the rear tire and it was right down to the rim. Fortunately I had planned on driving to meet him and he did not have to wait long in the desert!
Leaving the trailer and walking along the pavement was like getting a blast of heat from a blast furnace!.
To our surprise we found that my bike also had a flat!
Every time that we have been to Seminole we say that it will be the last time. Well we are saying it again. The 7 day drive is just too much.

Joe’s Best: The 50km Bike ride to Langtry and part way back.
Joe’s Worst: Getting his second flat tire of the trip.
Carol’s Best: Making the truck all nice and clean while Joe was on Langtry trip.
Carol’s Worst: My front tire is flat too. As well, when cooking dinner, the heat from my fry pan melted two of the switch plate covers right next to the stove. Positive aspect of this: I didn’t burn down the trailer.


Tuesday, May 5 Seminole Canyon SP to Fort Clark Springs

Up early, 6:30 to a warm cloudy day; forecast is for 99’ hi and low of 75
Sad to leave Seminole Canyon, perhaps for the last time. It’s so far to get here but we love it so much. It’s hard to get everything in you want to do because it‘s so hot during the day.
Arrived at Fort Clark Springs at 11:30 a.m. Set up and had lunch.
Joe went off to see if truck can be fixed, and to see if his flat tire AND MINE could be fixed. Wow, flat tires galore are happening this trip. Must be the prickles in the desert that did us in.
The tires were fixed easily. The truck not so easily. A special part had to be ordered and the closest was San Antonio. It should be here tomorrow morning.

Joe’s Best: Being back at Fort Clark and the spring fed pool
Carol’s Best: Returning to familiar grounds.

Wednesday, May 6 Fort Clark Springs Day 2

Warm and sunny day
After getting air into bike tires, set off for Alamo Village but decided because of heat and condition of bike tires to do a tour around Brackettville.
While doing so, my front tire’s tube started to come out. We had to walk in the heat back to the garage to pump up the tire. The part for the truck had arrived. Off we went to the Fort Clark Springs
Texas Texas Texas

near the Alamo movie location
Pool for a nice cooling dip. Joe remained, planning to go get the truck in an hour, as I returned to the trailer for lunch. Well the truck repairs went on until 4pm.
Waited for Joe until 4 p.m. so I read. Air conditioning is now fixed for an additional US$313.00
At 5:30 pm we put our thermometer on the picnic table in the shade. It registered 40.1’C or 104.5’F. I think that this was our first experience with plus 40 or plus 100!

Joe’s Best: Getting truck fixed and being able to cool off in the pool
Carol’s Best: The swim in the pool while everything around us was too hot to touch!


Thursday, May 7 Pedernales Springs State Park, Johnson City


The forecast remains for 40’C plus temperatures for the next few days so we got up at 6:30 and left by 7am without breakfast. We stopped at a Mexican road house restaurant in Uvalde at 8am and had Huevos Rancheros! When we arrived at Pedernales State Park in Johnson City we found that we could only stay one night as the weekend was fully booked.
We set up and went looking for the beach area. What a disappointment. The water was muddy and about the deepest was up to you knees. The bottom was rocky and dangerous! We have to remind ourselves that when we read a description of any “water” in a park that refers to a waterfall or beach or lake is only beauty in the eye of a Texan who has never seen a real waterfall, a real lake or a real beach. There is only ONE NATURAL lake in all of Texas. The Gulf Coast is an exception. We are not unhappy that we can’t stay longer. Some very nice sites but that is all. Oh and it has been the most expensive night yet (US$26.00)

Joe’s Best: Nothing in particular
Carol’s Best: Mexican breakfast


Friday, May 8 Pedernales State Park to Crocket Family Resort and Marina in Crockett, Texas


Up at 6:45 to a warm, cloudy morning. Travelled through beautiful hill country; highway290 is a good highway.
At 8:51 a.m. crossed the 150,000 km point on our 11 year old truck’s odometer.
Smooth, easy ride around the south end of Austin; not much traffic; hwy 290/71 is good. Travelled along 71 to Bastrop, and then east along lots of evergreen trees as we entered the Prairies and Lakes region of Texas. Looks like we could be in Ontario.
As entered Crocket area moved into Piney Woods area; lots more trees
Arrived at destination around 1:45; campground is nice and treed; not many people here. Full hook-ups and WI-FI again. Is located on Lake Houston—a fishing lake. Went down to docks and sat on them; Joe went in for a few dips, but water was too murky for me
Went for a hot bike ride along rode outside campground.
Took coffee down to dock at dusk; very pretty on the water; a few fishing boats out for the evening—could only see their green and white lights.

Carol’s Best: sitting on dock at dusk was so relaxing and peaceful
Joe’s Best: finding a nice private campground


Saturday , May 9 Crocket Family Resort (Day 2)

This was a “do nothing day” For a change we got up at 8am instead of 6:30. After a good breakfast of pancakes we went for bike ride on some of the back roads near the campground. It was another hot and humid day so we only did an hour. After lunch we went and spent an hour or so on the dock reading and throwing water on ourselves to keep from burning.
Crockett Family Resort is a very nice private campground. We don’t usually say that about private campgrounds. The sites are fairly level and most provide a lot of shade with tall pines. Full hookups plus wi-fi plus cable makes it pretty complete. At this time of year it was very relaxing with only a few campers. It is out of the way but worth a stop (www.crockettresort.com)

About 8pm tonight there was power failure, but only along 2 rows of campsites. Hours later the problem had not been solved. A friendly camper loaned us a 50 ft extension cord and combined with all of our cords we managed to hook up and have enough power for lights, fridge etc. We could not use the A/C even though it was very hot and humid. Mary Lou, the friendly, helpful lady at the front desk offered us a free day. Unfortunately we could not take advantage of it.

Joe’s Best: Just Relaxing
Carol’s Best: Relaxing by the water during the afternoon and at dusk.


Sunday May 10: Crocket Texas to Lincoln Parish Park, Ruston, Louisiana
We are leaving Texas and will be finishing up the trip with camping and biking in Louisiana and Mississippi.
Portions of the remainder of this trip will be found in our Natchez Trace Blog and in the Longleaf Trace Blog

Hwy 79 from Palestine to Henderson, good, smooth, not much traffic on a Sunday morn. Two years ago we stayed at Railroad state historical park in Palestine.
Sky became brighter along hwy 43—a lovely route -yellow flowers along sides, heavily treed with mostly deciduous and some evergreen
Hwy 20 E toward Ruston Louisiana was smooth; thought it would be terrible, but we were remembering Hwy 10 in the south of this state. Listened to Car Talk with Clik and Clak on public radio—funny and informative
Got to Lincoln Parish Park at 2:15. A lovely park with sites facing a small lake.
Joe used GPS to get us here…we had no other info—what a help, even though we had been here before. Went for a bike ride around pond, got rained on. Flash flood warning in area—had a lot of rain during last few days—no where for it to go!

Joe’s Best: getting into cooler weather
Carol’s Best·: sitting under the night sky with our Christmas lights, coffee, and soft night sounds

Monday, May 11 Day 2 Lincoln Parish Park Campground Day 2

Cloudy coolish day, 50%!t(MISSING)hreat of rain. Joe circled the pond a few times in a half-hearted jog; humid and his knee was bothering him. Decided to flee the trailer for the upcoming rainstorm and go into Ruston to shop
Did laundry at local Laundromat which had really efficient dryers—25 cents for 11 minutes and one shot did the perma clothes and 2 handled the thick towels. Time and money-saving. Friendly proprietor helped Joe with directions for the library. He spent time in the new library here and came back with a handful of bibliographies for various kinds of reading. E.g. mystery. How handy is that! He’s planning to share these with library back home. Returned mid p.m. to wet campsite.
Read for awhile, then to sleep with sleeping bags for the first time in weeks

Joe’s Best: jogging around the lake in the early morning
Carol’s Best: inhaling the beauty of nature with my coffee under the night sky
Palestine TexasPalestine TexasPalestine Texas

Texas Railroad state park


Tuesday, May 12 Lincoln Parish Park to Hattiesburg, MS
Cloudy, humid; temp in 60s/70s
Park ranger came around to tell us that a squirrel had been seen chewing our propane line yesterday. Joe went to check it out and deemed it still safe.
Entered Mississippi about noon; had complimentary coffee at Vicksburg Welcome Centre and chatted with friendly staff. We motored along hwy 20 toward Hattiesburg. Great welcome centre in Hattiesburg; young man was very helpful, providing us with maps and info re: the Longleaf Trace parking, Turtle Creek Mall for my shopping, and the campground nearest to the Trace, Shady Cove. Arrived in hot, mid afternoon; set up and rested. Joe went for a jog on the country road across the highway and opposite the campground

Joe happy we had Wi-Fi again

Joe’s Best: nice treed campground with lots of space between sites
Carol’s Best: Welcome Centres at Vicksburg and Hattiesburg. Both were beautiful buildings and staff were very helpful.

Wednesday, May 13 Hattiesburg Day 2

The day started out cloudy, but then we had a beautiful puffy cloud blue sky day—high was 90’ and later became humid
We biked from about 9 a.m. along the Longleaf Trace from Jackson station to Sumrall, about 16km. It took about one hour. The Trace is paved, although a bit bumpy, with trees on both sides in this part of the route. Many of the trees were labelled for our information. Every few miles there was a station containing a cold drink machine, benches and bathrooms. We stopped along the way to take pictures, and rest from time to time.
At around 2 p.m. at the height of the heat, we arrived back at the truck. We drove to Turtle Creek Mall so that I would find it tomorrow. We also found a liquor store (they are very well hidden in this area), and bought a box of Cabernet Sauvignon (our second on the trip

Joe’s Best: Bike ride
Carol’s Best: Ditto

Thursday, May 14 Hattiesburg Day 3

Up nice and early; had a shower.
Cloudy and warm; thunderstorms threatening
Delivered Joe to Jackson Station to start his 100 km odyssey on the Longleaf Trace
(See blog “Biking the Longleaf Trace”)
Joe contacted me at around 11:30 stating that all was well and what his plans were.
Met him at Jackson Station at 3; he had a snack, and then he went an extra 10 km to bring him up to his 100 km. I have to give him credit. Although his legs were like jelly, and it was hot, humid, and rainy, he never gave up. Very motivated person. Kudos to him.

Joe’s Best: Completing the 100 km ride that he had set out to do months ago! Yeah!
Carol’s Best: shopping, of course. It was really fun to find clothes that fit and look nice.

Friday, May 15 Hattiesburg to Aberdeen, MS—Blue Bluff Recreation Area

Warm cloudy. Up early and left at 7:30
Had breakfast at Laurel, north of Hattiesburg around 8 at Shoney’s. It was good, bacon and eggs for me and omelette for Joe.
Travelled north on 59 to Meridian. At noon at West Point on 45N, stopped at Wal-Mart for groceries and gas. Changed destination for today and decided to try another Army Corps of Engineers campground at Aberdeen—called Blue Bluff Recreation Area
Is a really nice campground with many sites on the water. Ours has no one on one side—just a family of turtles, a Canada goose, bull frogs, and we think some beaver.

Joe’s Best: nothing in particular
Carol’s Best: breakfast at Shoney’s, and the AC in the trailer and truck. I can’t take this humidity and heat. Can’t wait to get back up north.

Saturday, May 16 Aberdeen, MS to Piney Grove Campground, MS

After a good sleep, awakened to a thunderstorm at 7 a.m. We left after it had passed at around 8:30
Seemed to be a little cooler today
Listened to a rock and roll oldies station from Aberdeen along our travels to Bay Springs.
At 10 we stopped at our usual stop in Tupelo where we went to Wal-Mart to get gas and groceries
Arrived at Piney Grove at around noon and were lucky that someone cancelled a reservation and we were able to get a really nice lakefront site.
The campground is very busy this weekend, with lots of water traffic in terms of sea doo’s, and motor boats.
Had a big lunch of hotdogs with sauerkraut, beans, potato salad and tossed salad.
I had a late p.m. nap, while Joe went exploring.
Temperature is around 72 outside…much more comfortable than it has been in a long while.
It is supposed to get really
San AntonioSan AntonioSan Antonio

River Walk
cool for tomorrow. Goody.

Joe’s Best: Getting a great campsite despite it being Saturday.
Carol’s Best: Ditto.

Sunday, May 17 Piney Grove Campground Day 2

Slept in until almost 9 a.m.
Went for a bike ride to Old Bridge Beach. Was cool at beach but we took pictures anyway.
Returned late p.m., read and relaxed.

Joe’s Best: Bike ride to the beach.
Carol’s Best: Relaxing day at a lovely campground.

Monday, May 18 Piney Grove, MS to Cave City, KY

Left early today on a sunny, cool day at around 8. Had to deal with an overfull grey water tank before we left. Little traffic on the Trace, but did see a few cyclists. tree leaves were much larger than they were a month ago (see the blog Biking the Natchez Trace)
Drove smoothly through Nashville with the help of GPS. Stopped at Welcome Centre in Kentucky for a bit, and Joe sent some emails that were waiting using the Wi-Fi there. arrived at Singing Hills RV Park at mid afternoon; nice sites; okay for an overnight. Should go down to the 40s tonight. Sleeping bag weather. We’ll sleep well.
Joe’s Best: Finding a quiet, clean, relaxing private campground
Carol’s Best: nothing in particular


Tuesday, May 19 Cave City to Kentucky Horse Park Campground, Lexington, KY
Awakened late, around 7:30; not too far to go today. Sunny, headed for a high of 75
Lovely clear blue sky. Nice ride along N 65 to Elizabethtown, then along scenic Blue Ridge Parkway to Lexington: rolling hills, green grass, beautiful Kentucky white fences
Arrived at Kentucky Horse Park early afternoon; set up, relaxed. This is our third time at Kentucky Horse Park and has become one of our favourite spots for camping.
Joe’s Best: Returning to Kentucky Horse Park
Carol’s Best: Ditto


Wednesday and Thursday, May 20-21 Kentucky Horse Park Campground Days 2 and 3

Beautiful weather—high 70s to 80s; sunny, clear blue sky—perfect
Went to RV show on Wed. and looked in a lot of trailers to the point that Joe said, ''Enough already.'' (This was our third year of seeing this trailer show)

Rode through Horse Park and saw new outdoor stadium just being completed. Started last spring. Was created for the World Equestrian Competition next year which will be held here. Is beautiful with dark green seats. The colour décor for this place is just lovely—dark green, medium grey; and signs are in some type of metal—gold or bronze. Looks very tasteful and rich.

Also went to new indoor stadium and peeked inside. Workers are still in there, and it is due to be finished in June. It is huge, with a dirt floor.
Toured some of the horse installations…particularly the Hall of Champions where we saw Cigar, the most lucrative horse in history. It’s really nice to see that old champions have a beautiful place to spend their last days. People in the Horse Park are very friendly and are eager to share info with you.
Our site is lovely, backed up to a tree lined fence. On the other side of it in the distance, we can see the outdoor stadium and lovely sunsets at night. The park has a lot of campers in it, but is by no means full. We expect that that will change this weekend—Memorial Day in the U.S. We will be gone by then.
Last night here, we packed and rearranged truck and trailer for arrival home by Sunday.
Took a long walk around campground roads with coffee after sunset; weather perfect and we were hot and nicely tired upon return.

Joe’s Best: Being at KHP and Campground for the full day with great weather.
Carol’s Best: Ditto

Friday, May 22 Kentucky Horse Park to Findlay, OH

Left around 8 a.m. at 68’ warm and humid
On I75 N, transport tire blew right beside us; scared the ….out of us. When we checked later, it looks as if it took off the cover of our electrical cord outlet. Sounded just like a gunshot. No injuries, however.
Uneventful otherwise along I75—lots of traffic both ways, due to Memorial Day Weekend beginning
Had sandwiches on the way that I had made—turkey and pepper jack cheese—so delicious!
Arrived at destination mid afternoon

Joe’s Best: Traffic was lighter than he thought it would be for long weekend.
Carol’s Best: Getting closer to home.

Saturday May 23 Findlay to Simcoe, Ontario

Uneventful and traffic was sparse since I-75 is under construction and it is detoured well before the bridge. While waiting in line at the bride our truck’s brake light came on. We sat in line for about ½ hour wondering what the problem was because brakes still worked. Pulled in to the Ontario Welcome Centre and Joe checked the brake fluid reservoir! It was bone dry. By luck there was a Canadian Tire store right across the street. Problem fixed!

After spending the night with our friend Sigrun in Simcoe, we arrived home on Sunday May 24.








Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 40


Advertisement



30th September 2009

Camping Adventure!!
I really enjoyed reading all your updates. It sounds like so much fun and adventure. I can't believe that the Pecos River still look the same after years of not coming back to that place. This year, my husband and I plan to have a fun time together with the kids. I think we'll drop by there before going on Texas Campgrounds where we plan to spend most of the time. Warm regards, Angela
18th April 2012
Mexican hat wild flowers

Galliardia - Indian blanket or blanket flower
lovely photo, but not Mexican hat wildflowers...

Tot: 0.673s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.2807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb