Houston - Nasa Johnson Space Center


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Houston
September 3rd 2012
Published: September 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

2 – 3rd Sept ’12 Houston, Texas

After a long drive we arrived in Houston around tea time, so no chance to do any sightseeing today apart from trying to find somewhere to eat. We are staying just a couple of miles down the road from the Johnson Space Center and located a Red Lobster not far away. However it is Labour Day weekend and the queue was spilling out down the path so we gave that idea up and ended up at the Chinese near the motel.

Next morning we were up bright and early to make the most of our day in Houston and our top priority was Nasa so off we headed to the Space Center. We were there on the dot of it opening and paid our dosh, got the map and set off, first stop the tram tour. This was great, we went to Mission Control!!! Yes the ACTUAL mission control!! Ok we were behind a glass partition but it was just like on the tele, I couldn’t believe I was actually there.

Then we visited the Astronaut training centre and saw all the various things they use to prepare for space and to work out there, the anti gravity machine, assorted vehicles and pieces of equipment. We then stopped to pay our respects at the memorial park before going on to the Saturn V area, where we saw the actual rocket, other rockets and information on the various missions to the moon.

The tram tour took 90 minutes and we then whizzed about seeing various exhibits, talks and films it was all very stirring stuff and we even got to see moon rocks - brilliant! The center was a fantastic place and by the time we had seen and done everything it was after 5!!

We decided to try for Red Lobster again and this time we were successful, after eating the unlimited shrimp we wished we hadn’t been!

So we didn’t get to see much of Houston, but the intention was to do the space stuff and that we certainly did!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Houston - NasaHouston - Nasa
Houston - Nasa

Astronauts Memorial Park
Houston - NasaHouston - Nasa
Houston - Nasa

Real Moon rocks!
Houston - NasaHouston - Nasa
Houston - Nasa

Spaceman!!
Houston - NasaHouston - Nasa
Houston - Nasa

Mission Control
Houston - NasaHouston - Nasa
Houston - Nasa

Astronaut training centre


Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.1481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb