SHELL HOUSTON OPEN 2012


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Houston
April 1st 2012
Published: April 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well what a day! We have just got back from watching Hunter Mahan win the 2012 Shell Houston Open. The tournament is the last one before the Masters begins this week so was a chance for someone who had not qualified to make it into the first Golf Major of the year. I had bought the tickets so long ago that it all seem surreal that we were finally making our way to the Redstone Golf Club this morning. We walked for about 20 minutes from our hotel to the shuttle bus park and then it was about a 15 minute drive to the main gates where our tickets were waiting. The shuttle buses were very efficient and police stopped traffic to ensure the buses had priority all the way to the course. Walking in you are struck by the numbers of support trailers, sponsors and merchandise stalls that line the entrance - freebies were everywhere. We went straight to the first tee and watched NZ golfer Danny Lee start - he sent one of the better drives down the first fairway that we saw; unfortunately he did not produce his best round and went backwards in the field after this. However, he is playing in glittering company and does not look out of place. He will win a big one a some point.

We then watched the pros on the range and putting greens going through all their routines. They all entered through a shoot with fans either side - Ernie Els was brilliant and arrived with a marker pen to sign kids caps and posters. The event has a real family feel to it - children under 13 are allowed in free with a paying adult, which is an inspired idea. The biggest cheer on the range was awarded to Phil Mickelson a big favourite with the Houston crowd and also the defending champion. He played with Keegan Bradley the 2011 PGA Champion.

We walked the entire course, which was no easy feat as it was quite spread out. We waited on 10 for Fred Couples - one of my favourite golfers - to tee off. What a swing he has and he always seems to be smiling. Lee Westwood and Els played together and seemed to have a great on course relationship; although Els was pretty annoyed that play was so slow ahead that two groups were waiting to tee off on the Par 3 14th. He and Thomas Bjorn found something funny as they waited tough. On the 2nd I stood right behind the leader after 54 holes Loius Oosthuizen as he played his approach from the first cut of rough. Narelle could not believe how close we could get to the players either on the tee or by the fairway - to be honest either could I.

The 16th is a party type hole - a Par 3. They encourage noise and they also run a side bet on which caddie will reach the green first. All monies raised go to charity - one caddie wears a yellow vest and the other red to make it more of a competition. So for this hole there is no yelling to the players rather it's "Go Red" or "Hurry up Yellow"! The only problem I saw was when Bjorn missed a short putt and someone yelled something out that he did not like - quite rightly Bjorn just stared back at this guy. I think he had a few too many of the $6 Buds.

Just a wonderful day and great to share in all the fun. I managed to take a few photos, which may land me up in jail but I thought if I come this far to see it I was not going to miss out. Houston has been a great stopover - we caught up with Rob Stevens and his family last night for dinner. Nice to get out and see them at their house, share in a BBQ, go for a drive in Rob's yellow Chevy Camaro, and share in some "riddles" with Arwyn - I am already looking for some to stump her.

Not sure what tomorrow may bring - perhaps our first day off....if there is such a thing on holiday. We head for Dallas on Tuesday morning. I have wanted to visit Dealey Plaza for about 30 years; Wednesday will be that day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb