DALLAS TODAY - TORNADO TOWN


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dallas
April 4th 2012
Published: April 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Wow! We should have sensed something was up when our pilot politely told passengers as they boarded AA 1432 to “hurry up” as there was “a bit of a weather system west of Dallas they wanted to beat”. Our flight to Dallas Fort Worth Airport was all of 40 minutes and uneventful so we were not really expecting what unfolded over the next few hours. In layman’s terms all hell broke loose soon after our arrival. Out of the taxi window we could see some dark rain clouds so said to each other we would get to the hotel and put our waterproofs on and walk into the CBD. Within ten minutes of putting the TV on in our room we were interrupted by a public announcement telling us that a tornado warning was in place – quite surreal that all channels got the message and it overrode normal transmission. So we delayed our walk and went to the restaurant for lunch.

From our seat in the restaurant it got darker outside and then the flashes started – with thunder accompaniment almost instantaneous. The rain looked like someone had turned a jet hose on full and very soon the road outside was flooded; one man provided us all entertainment as he unsuccessfully tried to get into his car without getting his feet wet. The TV above the bar was on and updating constantly with pictures of truck and trailer units being flung through the air like they were Matchbox toys. There were also a lot of people phoning friends and family to tell them to take shelter. I would like to say that it was all exciting but with the damage done to people’s houses and the injuries it does not seem right – I am stunned no one was killed. What we have subsequently found out is that 12 tornadoes touched down in and around the Dallas Fort Worth area in a display of natural fury that I have never been witness to. I am sure many of you have seen the pictures; I am watching the TV now and the pictures of Diamond Creek subdivision are heart breaking. Echoing the words of Bob Parker in February 2011 one of the mayors here said to go home and hug your family.

The flight that we were on must have been one of the last flights into DFW as all flights were grounded and many incoming flights diverted. There are 110 planes damaged by hail at DFW airport and our flight stopped in Dallas rather than continue to its final destination Newark. Where those passengers are tonight is anyone’s guess but I am sure they are all relieved to be on the ground rather than facing that storm at height – the storm is now well east of Dallas.

So that was our first day. Thankfully we are safe and well after it. I was expecting to be emotional after making my first visit to Dealey Plaza – rather it has been emotional just being round the hotel. All reports tell us that tomorrow should be better weather wise and we will get out and about. Sadly for many it will be the first day of a clean-up job that is going to last many days and months.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb