Forbidden Gardens Katy, Texas 2006


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Houston
April 15th 2006
Published: February 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Some really rich guy decided to do his own version of the historical sight in China. No really!

Just take the detour on the way to Houston like we did one morning and head into Katy, Texas. Nestled between neighborhoods lies the great fake Chinese Emperor's Tomb, or as they call it, The Forbidden Gardens!

A Chinese style courtyard (complete with gift shop of course) greets one as you walk in. Giant statue recreations of Chinese lions stare down their judgment on you. I advise you to go ahead and take the tour. Its both informative and gives you a general idea into both the history of the Chinese Emperor and the man who created Forbidden gardens in Katy, Texas. We took the tour and enjoyed it. It was quick, easy, and left plenty of time for souvenirs and picture taking.

Some artifact recreations are stored in a building as well as a very miniature Chinese village complete with cobwebs. My friend insisted on a little dusting but the lady giving the tours kept a close eye on him.

There is also a really neat super miniature recreation of the Forbidden City recreated under a huge aluminum
SoldiersSoldiersSoldiers

These are life-size.
roof. I held back the urge to go trampling through the city like Godzilla. If a meteor were to strike tomorrow and I had sufficient warning and nothing else to do before our complete and utter annihilation then hopping over to Forbidden Gardens to trample on the miniature Forbidden City while roaring like Godzilla would be the thing to do.

By far the most interesting thing to see is the recreation of the terra cotta warrior army that accompanied the emperor upon his burial. Hundreds of these half-sized or so statues stand ready to attack half-buried in the dirt. The neatly arranged warriors inspire one to go and study the ancient history of China.....and eat Chinese Food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

GaurdGaurd
Gaurd

They each have different faces.
Me and THIS ArmyMe and THIS Army
Me and THIS Army

I do not look "general-torial" at all.
LionLion
Lion

Lion Sentry keeping gaurd.
Forbidden CityForbidden City
Forbidden City

There is a minature version of the Forbidden City located under a huge metal tent.
More MiniaturesMore Miniatures
More Miniatures

Little boxes....little boxes...
Closer ViewCloser View
Closer View

The glory is in the details.


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0887s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb