Waco, Texas Day Trip 2006


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Waco
March 11th 2006
Published: February 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Dr. Pepper MuseumDr. Pepper MuseumDr. Pepper Museum

I heart Dr. Pepper.
Waco, TX day trip!

Tony and I headed out one early morning for a quick lazy day trip to Waco, home of the Dr. Pepper Museum. There was a time where all I ever drank was Dr. Pepper. So much that on those chance occasions when I would drink something else my mind still thought it was Dr. Pepper and I'd continue drinking oblivious to anything else.

Waco is a small town famous for many things. Its home to Baylor University, home to the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame, the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, and the Dr. Pepper Museum. The name Waco comes from the Spanish word, "Hueco" pronounced "Way-co" by English speaking settlers. It means "hollowed out" or so, and it is in reference to the homes of the native tribes that lived nearby.

The birthplace of Dr. Pepper is located right in the center of Waco just off I-35. There a museum dedicated to all things Pepper invites visitors to cruise through its history and commercialization. Available for tasting is Dr. pepper made with pure cane sugar, mixed right on the spot. I had never tasted a more delicious Dr. Pepper before in my life!
Dr. Pepper Museum TruckDr. Pepper Museum TruckDr. Pepper Museum Truck

About to deliver some Dr. Pepper to the masses.
Also a special treat was drinking Dr. Pepper from a real glass bottle. Something that was sort of gross though were Dr. Pepper flavored jelly beans. Leaving the museum with a classic "I'm a Pepper" vintage T-shirt is a must! As is seeing the display of fake Dr. Pepper wannabees display case (Dr. Slice, Mr. Pibb, Dr. Thunder, to name a few.)

After having our fill of all things Pepper, we headed over to the Cameron Park Zoo. Its a fun little park with plenty of worthwhile animals to see. The lemur exhibit was fun except they weren't out and about much. Still I'd rather have them in as natural a state as possible than to have them in an empty cage for everyone to see like in the olden days.

Afterwards we headed over to see the Waco Suspension Bridge that crosses the mighty Brazos River. At one point it was the largest suspension bridge west of the Mississippi. It is a pretty bridge and to take a walk on. They should do more to make it a fun tourist attraction.

Before heading home we stopped to eat at a seafood restaurant overlooking the river. The
Cameron Park ZooCameron Park ZooCameron Park Zoo

Lioness on the lookout.
food was mediocre but it was a fun way to end the day nonetheless.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Meerkats!Meerkats!
Meerkats!

Meerkat sentry on the lookout.
BisonBison
Bison

They seem sadder in a corral.
Waco Suspension BridgeWaco Suspension Bridge
Waco Suspension Bridge

This was first opened in 1869.
Waco Suspension Bridge 2Waco Suspension Bridge 2
Waco Suspension Bridge 2

The bridge crosses the Brazos River.
Waco Suspension Bridge 3Waco Suspension Bridge 3
Waco Suspension Bridge 3

Kind of looks like the Brooklyn Bridge.
Tony Eating GumboTony Eating Gumbo
Tony Eating Gumbo

We ate at a seafood restaraunt overlooking the Brazos River.
The Mighty Brazos RiverThe Mighty Brazos River
The Mighty Brazos River

I guess the drought has been bad.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb