Fabulous Sunset Texas Coast


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Galveston
February 14th 2014
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 29.2953, -94.8079

Whirlwind Travel maybe should be the name of our lifestyle at present. We had a short time in Central Texas before we took off for Costa Rica and we made the best of this time to run errands and visit with friends and family from Llano to Houston, Smith Point and on the Galveston and back for more!

Drove down to Houston to visit with family and friends, then off to Smith Point for quick trip. As usual reminded of the pull of the coast while enjoying the sunset off the deck of Scott and JoAnn's. Picked up a gallon of fresh oysters for family back in Austin since this is one of the "best" places to get fresh oysters.

From there drove the Bolivar Peninsula to catch the ferry over to Galveston. Couldn't help but notice how close the highway is to the ocean and wonder at what point this road will cease to exist and Bolivar Peninsula will be cut off? or will it? The Intercoastal canal runs parallel to the highway and the ocean so time will tell.

Past the famous lighthouse of the Bolivar Peninsula. It dates back to the time of the1900 storm that killed 4000 people on the island of Galveston. According to some sources the water came up and blocked the doors of the lighthouse so people could not get in and be rescued and the people inside could hear their screams. Nice story, huh?

Then the ferry ride. Always fun and there is the chance to see the dolphins playing alongside the ferry and see the gulls and pelicans following along behind the ferry. Fortunately, they only allow feeding of the birds at the back of the boat!

There were several large tankers at anchor in the Bolivar roads as we neared Galveston. This is the term for the area as the ships leave Galveston and cross between Bolivar peninsula and Galveston and head out into the open seas. Got to visit with more friends before heading back to Central Texas to continue with getting all we needed to get done, done.




Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



9th March 2014

Didn't realize you were in our neighborhood!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb