Rod Stewart on the Grassy Knoll


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Fort Worth
March 24th 2007
Published: March 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I got my high art and architecture fix at the Kimbell Art Museum and the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth—they are conveniently located across the street from one another in the Cultural District. Designed by master architect Louis I. Kahn, the Kimbell is one of those places where archigeeks like myself make pilgrimages to. It’s a travertine temple to late Modernism. The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth was exciting to see because I haven’t seen any of the architect’s (Tadao Ando) work in person. Lunch at the Modern’s café, Bon Appetit, was delish and the stylish Saarinen dining chairs fit right in to the well-designed space. The day ended with a fantabulous late dinner at Lonesome Dove Western Bistro (billed as “fine urban Western cuisine”) located in the historic Stockyard District. I had South Texas quail and it was indeed gourmet cowboyish. Quail hunting is big in South Texas as Dick Cheney can attest to. I had a refreshing Rosemary Mojito which came with a cocktail stirrer shaped like barbed wire. Cool.

We poked around the Stockyard District after dinner—some of the facades of the brick commercial buildings have been “Westernized” which I thought was amusing given that we were in the real West. Coupled with men walking around in cowboy hats, cowboy boots and gigantic belt buckles, I felt like I was at Knott’s Berry Farm for some strange reason. Just outside the Stockyard District, we drive past a one-story, non-descript, ca. 1960s strip mall with a pistol range facility sandwiched between a hair salon and liquor store. Classic. I can get big hair, fire a few rounds, and pick up a bottle of whiskey all in the same building.

The following day we drive to the Sixth Floor Museum in the old Texas Book Depository Building in downtown Dallas. It’s an impressive museum and at points very powerful, depicting the day when JFK was assassinated. Outside the museum, people are taking photos of the building, the sixth floor window through which Lee Harvey Oswald allegedly fired the shots, and of course, the grassy knoll. I’m taking photos as well and I see this man who looks like Rod Stewart but is not. He has the Rod Stewart hair. I had to take a photo of him so I pretended to take a pic of the sixth floor but got one of him taking a photo of the grassy knoll. All I could think of was, “Oooh, good blog pic!”

We go back to my car and there’s a damn parking ticket on the windshield. Time to get out of Texas.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Museum of Modern Art Fort WorthMuseum of Modern Art Fort Worth
Museum of Modern Art Fort Worth

View of museum from inside the Richard Serra sculpture
Museum of Modern Art Fort WorthMuseum of Modern Art Fort Worth
Museum of Modern Art Fort Worth

View of museum and Richard Serra sculpture
Fort Worth MINI sightingFort Worth MINI sighting
Fort Worth MINI sighting

The Red Menace is in back. Cute MINI in front. Two MINIs that pass in the night.
MINI LoveMINI Love
MINI Love

Two MINIs in a hotel parking lot. Blue MINI left the next morning. Didn't even leave a note.
Old Texas Book Depository BuildingOld Texas Book Depository Building
Old Texas Book Depository Building

Sixth Floor Museum is in the building.
Dealy PlazaDealy Plaza
Dealy Plaza

Grassy knoll
Is that Rod Stewart?Is that Rod Stewart?
Is that Rod Stewart?

Rod look-alike takng pics of the grassy knoll.
JFK MemorialJFK Memorial
JFK Memorial

Designed by architect Philip Johnson
Dallas, TexasDallas, Texas
Dallas, Texas

Parking ticket. Damn!


1st April 2007

Euge- Too scvary image of you with big hair, a 45, and a fifth of Jack. My lip is curled and stuck, ala Billy Idol. Your trip and blog are too fun! Thanks for bringing us all along!

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb