Crossing Texas, sharing Presidents history and some oil digging on the way...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dallas
August 8th 2017
Published: August 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

We have been a little too much walking around and in the car the last few days, so not much time to write any blog. You have I guess most of you follow the sad news in Texas about hurricane Harvey the last few days.



Harvey has so far mainly hit the coast and the city of Houston, this could be as bad or even worst than Katrina in New Orleans year ago, only time will tell and we are sad for all those people who lost everything.



We did not get any close to Houston. I have landed in the past there, but this time, we are driving from East to West. Our first day was the long drive from Albuquerque to Midland. Why Midland? Well, we needed to stop somewhere after more than 6 hours drive, and it's impossible to reach Dallas in one single day of driving all the way from Albuquerque.



The drive is pure oil fields and cowboy land, specially once you are in Texas proper. We did few pictures stops on the way. Midland is mainly a city built around the oil industry. Here there is oil offshore in the Mexico Gulf...but also onshore, all over the fields of Texas, up to the door of our hotel for the night.



I checked what there was to visit around Midland. Firstly, the city has hosted 2 presidents. The Bush family lived here in the 50', this means the future president and his son George. We stopped by the house, it's a pretty simple affair in a middle class area of the city. We didn't visit the inside, as I'm not specially a huge fan of the son as a President....we can't say the same of his Dad!



Next to Midland, the city of Odessa and it's University host a copy of Stonehenge. I have to admit, I've never been to Stonehenge....so even if it's a copy, it's a first for me....interesting to see it, next to the football fields of the University. A fun morning experience in middle of nowhere!



Next, it was the drive to Dallas. We took the Interstate, as it's not next door. I have landed and fly out of DFW few times. I even may have stay once or twice in an hotel next to the airport, but till today, that was my only interaction with Texas.



This time, we are staying for 2 nights in Dallas. Good idea as suddenly the car needed a change of oil...this does happen when you drive a lot! So I was happy that there was no big drive in the planing that day! We go from time to time to Walmart.....now I even go there for the auto center!



We also spent the afternoon where JFK was shot. Yes I wasn't born and that part of history hasn't been teach much in school in Europe. But still, this was really for us a visit not to be missed. You cannot take pictures on the 6th floor where the gun fire happened. There is an incredible exhibition of not only what happened that day, but the full legacy of JFK. Let put it simply, we learn a lot, and refreshed some old memories too. A visit that takes time, but a great moment.....and yes, Texas for us seems to be all about meeting history through the US Presidents...



Beside some shopping and the JFK memorial, there isn't much to visit around this huge flat urban area of Dallas....when it comes to museums, we have other places on the East Coast coming soo with enough of them on the menu.



Next, another long drive, East and South again we go...coming soon! Bear in mind, at the speed I'm writing those blogs, we are going to be soon a full month late. We are still in the States, the Mustang is going well....but it's soon time to head back home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb