SNAFU


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Corpus Christi
September 6th 2010
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Almost

Stopping in Corpus Christi for a few days. Car problems...storm.

Exercise TimeExercise TimeExercise Time

Sorry for the cut off picture. Bill was trying to take this picture quickly.
Our luck has run out. We made it within 2.5 hours of the border (2300 miles) without hitting any traffic or bad weather. The van, the dogs, lodging.....everything perfect, till now.
Tropical storm Hermine is keeping us here for a few days. Supposed to dump up to 6-8 inches of rain here tomorrow.
We also began smelling anitfreeze a couple of days back. We stopped often to check fluid levels and kept our eye on the temp gauge...but no real big problem occured. Once we got into Corpus Christi, we found a place to get the oil changed and this situation checked. I wish it were just the radiator. That would be simple. We need a manifold....to the tune of about $800. If this was going to happen, we're just glad it's here and not once we crossed over. I have no doubt we'd find somone in Mexico to fix it....it's the language barrier that would be our problem.
So, we hope to bring the van in for the day tomorrow while we get stuck at the hotel for the day in the storm. Not a problem...if it were just Bill and I. But we have Lobo, the 8 month old
SkylineSkylineSkyline

Houston!
"ready for anything, anytime" dog of ours. Sebastian is not a problem...he loves to sleep. Lobo is more manic/depressive. When he's down...he sleeps soundly, but when he's up...he is UP. It will be an interesting few days here.
I must admit that it is nice to just stop and not "push" for 6-8 hours/day. Plus, we're at a Budget Inn right across from the beach. There's a park between us and the beach, so it's a great spot for us to walk the dogs. It ain't the cleanest place around, but it's cheap and the location is great. We can actually afford to stay here a few nights. We brought in the food from our cooler and stocked up the frig in the room. Dog beds are set up....WiFi works.....beer and vodka in the frig....we're settling in!
We lost electricity this morning for a few hours, so I'm sure we'll lose it tomorrow. We can always jump in the van and watch a movie in there. We have TV and VCR player ready to go if we need to. Can't say that all my thrift shop stops were wasted. I picked up a few VCR tapes real cheap!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Taking a WalkTaking a Walk
Taking a Walk

Bill and Lobo coming back from the beach.
Foggy Late AfternoonFoggy Late Afternoon
Foggy Late Afternoon

My camera lens was a bit wet...but I like this photo. Both dogs are looking right at me.


6th September 2010

Well....okay, as you said, better here than in Mexico! Wow, a VCR!! Blast from the past! Be safe in the rains of Hermine! We got SO NADA from Earl....love the foggy picture! The Cape just didn't seem the same knowing you weren't there! We considered a second home there...whoa still so expensive!
6th September 2010
Foggy Late Afternoon

sweet photo
I like that you are on the beach.
6th September 2010
Exercise Time

Lobo tired?
Looks like he is beat!
6th September 2010

Sorry about the car
HI - Glad it happened while you were already delayed by the weather. Nice place to be stuck with the beach there. Thinking of you! Love ya, suzy
7th September 2010

We're fine....
Thanks to everyone for your comments. Right now, it's 7pm and it's freakin' pouring out. Only gonna get worse, I think. We're fine...just wish the dogs knew how to use a toilet.

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb