January Blues and Why?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Beaumont
January 10th 2008
Published: January 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I am not overly fond of the month of January. Holidays are over, holiday decorations must be dismantled and stored, bleak and dreary weather, endless sports games and fashions that you don't care for.

There's nothing to do.

I sound like a bored teenager!!!

There's plenty to do in southeast Texas and especially in my Golden Triangle area of Orange, Port Arthur and Beaumont!

The elections, local, state and federal are shouting at us! Our local primary will be held March 4th.

Please exercise your right to voice your opinion on how you want your personal, community, county, state and government business tended. Please register to vote if you have not done so already.

I try to host a monthly birthday party for friends and friends of friends. It's always so much fun.

There is so much to do to get ready for a very busy February.

Groundhog's Day is Feb 2nd and southeast Texans either pay no attention or make fun of those standing in the freezing weather while we may be BBQing the last critter of January's hunting season and wearing shorts and flip flops.

Super Bowl XLII is Sunday, Feb 3rd. Need I remind anyone in the US of A what this mania involves? If you are a participant or host of a Super Bowl party, you have a lot to do! Not much decorating (on my end), but chips, dips, drinks, snacks and real food will need to be made to be consumed. Don't worry about napkins - they won't use them. The dog will get up the big, edible stuff that may be dropped on the floor and, hopefully, the broom and vacuum will get the rest.

Mardi Gras, aka Fat Tuesday, is Feb 5th. There are celebrations in the forms of parties, parades, pageants and outlandish costumes to prepare that will consume our time.

Ash Wednesday is the following day, on the 6th. I wish all that sacrifice encouragement.

Valentine's Day, as always, is the 14th. Quickly dismantle the Mardi Gras decor and put up the hearts! Hustle to buy or order your
valentines today - in January! You will be sorely disappointed if you don't! If you are too late, the fault is only your own.

Leap Year is Feb 29th. Celebrate with those wonderful people whose birthdays fall on a real calendar day only every four years. Oh, to be that young if you were to count like that. They are special people who do not often have a birth day to claim each and every year.

So many other activities and events are happening in January and beyond in our area. Our churches, communities and organizations will and can keep us entertained and busy.

A few suggestions from our area include:

The Beaumont Civic Center which will give access to events scheduled at the Julie Rogers Theater and more: www.beaumont-tx-complex.com

Beaumont Community Players theater productions at www.beaumontcommunityplayers.com

The Lutcher Theater in Orange at www.lutcher.org

The Port Arthur Little Theater productions at www.palt.org

The Art Museum of Southeast Texas offering wonderful exhibits and hands-on activities to children and adults at www.amset.org

The Texas Energy Museum at www.texasenergymuseum.org

The Silsbee Ice House Museum, truly a step back in time, at www.icehousemuseum.org

Museum of the Gulf Coast : our area is very rich in musical talent. I think that Tee Bruce Broussard, a much loved talented musician,
showman and local radio personality, should be a recipient of their acknowledgment. www.museumofthegulfcoast.org

Texas Artists Museum at www.texasartistsmuseum.org

Orange Mardi Gras Festival and Parade on Jan 25 and 26th at www.goacc.org which stands for Greater Orange Area Chambers of Commerce.

Port Athur's Mardi Gras festivities Jan 31 thru Feb 3rd at www.mardigras.portarthur.com

Check out all the local eating and entertainment facilities for their special occasions, too.

See, I have no reason for January Blues. In fact, I need to get busy now!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb