Albuquerque to Amarillo - Day 13: Contiki day 7


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
December 19th 2012
Published: December 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Temp: Night time -6 degrees

Again Bags to coach 7:45am, we desided to get up a little early so we could get a spot on the bus towards the front of the bus because it is going to be another long day on the bus. I dropped my bag of at the coach at 7am bags our seats. As there was no included breakfast this morning i decided to go to Starbucks , Willy our bus drive asked if i could pick him something too. So off i headed to the Starbucks across the street, it took me a good 20 mins to locate the starbucks as wasn't across the street to the front but the side, loving their holiday range of drinks, Mocha Peppermint my fav!!

Our first stop for the day was only a 2 hour drive away in Santa Fe New Mexico, we were given 2 1/2 hours to explore the oldest Capital in the country. the town was beautiful and very historic, but we did not need that much time their and we were honestly ready to leave after an hour. we visited the the town square and some tthe churches in town, including the Loretto Chapel with the famous

Miraculous Staircase & wanted to do a little shopping but most of the shops were shut for the holidays. Lunch time in Santa Fe, and not alot of options as nothing is open, so we decided to get Mexican at the Burrito Co, yummy nachos & chicken & beef burritos were was what we all desidd on, Emmaa, Lisa, Natile & myself. We then headed to back to the bus 30 mnutes early in the hopes that everyone was as bored as we were and that we could maybe leave earlier, no joy, while most people were in agreeness with us their were a couplee that wished they had more time!!





Another couple hours on and we had made it to our destination Amarillo, TEXAS!! As we got off the bus we almost got blown away, the winds were nothing like we had ever felt, and we struggled trying to wheel our bags to our rooms. After a quick check in and freshen up we headed next door to The Big Texan for dinner and home of the huge 2kg steak challenge. As you do in texas we headed to the gift shop and bought ourselves a statsen cowboy hat each then sat down to eat our steak dinners, not as big as the challenge steak but still quite a massive serve. two boys on our tour did take on the challenge which was the 2kg steak, a baked potato, a side salad, 3 prawns and a dinner roll. you have to eat it all in under an hour and keep it down, however even tho they did take a huge crack at the challenge, they no where near finished. The food was amazing tho and we all had huge full bellies at the end of the meals. Next up we were taken to a texan dive bar called Buckles. The 1st thing we noticed was the smoke, everwhere here you can smoke, in clubs in shops, everywhere and we dont like it! However they had cheap drinks a juke box and pool tables so we were happy enough. We had a great night and headed back to the hotel in the early hours. Tomorrow we were back onto the coach and headed to Dallas.

Advertisement



28th December 2012

steaks
sounds like a real cowboy country but i bet you glad we have stopped all smoking over here good to here from you see you soon love mum

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb