Day two of Honeymooniversary


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
April 21st 2010
Published: April 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ok, soooo this has been a challenging trip :P

First off, we were pulled over while we were driving through Rhome ... because our headlight had gone out! But thankfully, we only got a warning and we went to the walmart in Decatur and got a new one and changed it out in the parking lot. But, sadly, that was an omen for our trip to not go so well...

When we got to Cadillac Ranch the wind was blowing sooo hard that the spray paint would not cooperate! Plus it was SUPER muddy around all of the cars so no matter where I stepped I sank about 2 inches into the mud. I gotta remember to wash my tennis shoes when I get home!





So, after Cadillac Ranch, we went to Whataburger to tell all of you about the drive and show you pictures ... but apparently Whataburgers over here don't have wifi! So we went on to the Palo Duro Canyon and set up our campsite ... the day was beautiful - the sun was out (I even got sunburned), the wind was blowing just enough for it to be pleasant






There was tons of wildlife just walking around everyone's campsite ... a lot of turkeys walking around in packs and deer also (I didn't get a great shot of them)



However, after a few hours of being there, the weather turned DRASTICALLY - It got really cold and the Park Host made her way around to all of the sites telling us campers that bad weather was on the way. There had been a tornado touch down around Amarillo and since the canyon is prone to flooding, she was warning everyone to not go any farther into the canyon than where our campsite collective was. Then this huge thunderstorm came and drenched us. We had to spend a while in our car because our tent was leaking - thankfully we got most of our bedding and ruin-able stuff in the car before the worst of it hit. When we finally did get back into the tent we had to wipe everything down and try to keep things dry.

When we woke up this morning, the Park Host came around again and said that there was going to be more bad weather tonight ... so we decided to pack up and come on home early ... we are at the Texan right now eating lunch and we will head out in a little bit!

These are some of the shots that I got while the weather was still nice (some I took this morning on our way out)






Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb